Anxious

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Anxious

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:35 pm

I had a good day yesterday. If I told you the amount of Bows caught you would call me a liar. They were all taken on large Stone nymphs and a DNA worm. The two largest were 24 inchers. All taken deep nymphing in high murky water.

Just before the time I made my last cast, I was not thinking of catching big Bows. My mind was drifting to the near future when the water will be clear and caddis will be king.

Size 16 Partridge and Yellow. Size 14 Partridge and Green.

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Anxious

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:09 am

I’m smiling ear to ear, happy for your success. Good for you!

Those flies are gorgeous too. You are well prepared to continue the fun.

Make a few drifts for me. :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:17 pm

Thank you Ray. The fishing has been off the charts for me during run-off.

The flies being gorgeous? Nah, functional. I just purchased two Partridge skins as I am out of feathers for sizes 14 to 18 on my skins. I dont mind over sized Partridge, but there comes a point I have to break down and buy a couple new ones.
Brooktrout52

Post by Brooktrout52 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:43 pm

Beautiful flies, clearly real killers. I need to get a new partridge skin as well. None of the local shops have any quality skins. Any suggestions where to get good partridge skins online? Thanks
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:12 pm

Brooktrout52 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:43 pm Beautiful flies, clearly real killers. I need to get a new partridge skin as well. None of the local shops have any quality skins. Any suggestions where to get good partridge skins online? Thanks
I got a nice Partridge skin from Feather-Craft online and bought one once from Cookshill. I particularly liked the one from Feather-Craft because it was smaller than what you normally see for sale.

Doug J
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:18 pm

A couple other options would be Blue Ribbon Flies, Dette’s or Cabelas. I’ve had good luck with materials from all three.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:01 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:18 pm A couple other options would be Blue Ribbon Flies, Dette’s or Cabelas. I’ve had good luck with materials from all three.
Thanks Ray. I already bought one online from Charlies Flybox (Charlie Craven) and am in the process of securing another one from a fellow named Grant Bench. He runs a FaceBook page dedicated to wet flies. He is a very accomplished tyer, and started dealing in hackles a few years ago. I purchased my last two skins form him and have no complaints. He has a couple posts here on the forum from years ago. I do not know if he frequents this site anymore. That being said, he is an acquaintance of Jim Slattery.
Oenophileangler

Post by Oenophileangler » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:07 pm

dj1212 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:12 pm
I got a nice Partridge skin from Feather-Craft online and bought one once from Cookshill. I particularly liked the one from Feather-Craft because it was smaller than what you normally see for sale.
I also purchased a Partridge skin from F-C several months ago. It was described as "Pen raised" so it would be smaller. Indeed, it is smaller than comparable Partridge skins that I have from Cookshill and independent sellers on the big auction site. It turns out to be a packaged Hareline Grade #1 Hungarian Partridge Skin. Good quality.
Brooktrout52

Post by Brooktrout52 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:05 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions on a partridge skin.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:10 pm

DUBBN wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:01 pm
letumgo wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:18 pm A couple other options would be Blue Ribbon Flies, Dette’s or Cabelas. I’ve had good luck with materials from all three.
Thanks Ray. I already bought one online from Charlies Flybox (Charlie Craven) and am in the process of securing another one from a fellow named Grant Bench. He runs a FaceBook page dedicated to wet flies. He is a very accomplished tyer, and started dealing in hackles a few years ago. I purchased my last two skins form him and have no complaints. He has a couple posts here on the forum from years ago. I do not know if he frequents this site anymore. That being said, he is an acquaintance of Jim Slattery.

Grant does work with/for Jim Slattery.

I was able to custom order a Brown phase, male skin.

Good people.