Generic Caddis Pupa

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Generic Caddis Pupa

Post by DUBBN » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:21 am

I started tying these and versions of these a few months ago. They have really come into their own the past 6 weeks.

They do well for me in a Euro (Mono-line) setup. What has really surprised me is how well they work on the swing with two other softhackles. I usually do not fish hopper - dropper rigs, but I did yesterday for a little while. A Shop Vac and this pattern were suspended under the hopper. The Shop Vac took the most fish, but the Caddis took a few aswell.

I know the October Caddis emerge like Stoneflies, escaping their cocoons-cases on the rocks. I have not seen the adults or cases on the river. Still, with the amber color veil, I wonder if they are taking it as the Orange Caddis.

Caddis season will be over soon, and I wont tie many more of this style. I might even forget about them during next years caddis season. Still it was fun to play with them.

It does not seem to matter if Gold or Black brass beads are used on them.

Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Generic Caddis Pupa

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:52 am

Wayne, do they show a size preference? What size are you tying?
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:08 am

Hi Ron.

All I have used is size 12, WFC Model 6 Wet Fly hooks
RickA

Post by RickA » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:19 am

I'm liking that, Wayne.
We have a great brown autumn sedge/October caddis hatch here in the next few weeks.
These guys are beasts and the last of our big bugs for the season and can be a size 10-2XL.
The pupa patterns I tie for them are somewhat drab but I just might bling it up a notch.
Well done!
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:32 am

Another great fly. The Oct Caddis are probably about on the Metolius.. I've not been on the river in a while but maybe Variant can give me the scoop.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:21 pm

I may try your pattern, Wayne. The Little Mad is a caddis machine for the entire season; churning out living flies by the millions. But when it comes to the end of the season, I'm always stumped. It's like somebody just hit the switch. It's the tale of two rivers. The Aroostook runs side by each with the Little Madawaska. The Aroostook is like a clock; all Mayflies, all on a prescribed schedule. The Little Mad..., caddis until there aren't. Not a Mayfly to be seen, and the caddis do their Cinderella imitation and turn into pumpkins. Soooo frustrating.

Up on the Fish River, October caddis are the way to go; killer pattern. If anyone ever doubted that rivers are living entities, fall will quickly correct that thinking.

The late season Little Mad remains an enigma to me.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:47 pm

Thank you folks. I appreciate the comments. I wanted to use the pattern today , on the Gunnison, but I had no need to add any weight to my rig. Soft hackles presnted upstream , with a Mono-Rig, cast to feeding fish and ofcourse down and across. The trout were keying on Caddis from top to bottom. All day long.

Maybe tomorrow on the Roaring Fork
Last edited by DUBBN on Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:48 pm

DUBBN wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:47 pm Thank you folks. I appreciate the comments. I wanted to use the pattern today , on the Gunnison, but I had no need to add any weight to my rig. Soft hackles presnted upstream ,upstream with a Mono-Rig, cast to feeding fish and ofcourse down and across. The trout were keying on Caddis from top to bottom. All day long.

Maybe tomorrow on the Roaring Fork
Weight. It might be the answer; ...should have made that connection.