Leisenring's Orphan Nymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

narcodog

Re: Leisenring's Orphan Nymphs

Post by narcodog » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:23 am

According to Martin an un-snecked hook could be a hook without an offset, whether a reversed or kirbed. There is also a difference between seck and snecked.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:58 am

narcodog wrote: There is also a difference between seck and snecked.
Yes, I was just looking for where I'd read that (can't remember which book). "Sneck" = square bend, "snecked" = off set point. I'm not sure that the terminology is completely standardized, though.
Bob
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 am

So the "unsnecked, square-bend hook" is an "unsnecked sneck" :D Got it.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 am

"Old Hat"

I posed the question with not yet a response there. What is an unsnecked square-bend hook? This distinguishes the square bend from the "snecked" description and would possibly support Ruard's position.

Interesting.
Would it be a sneck hook which is neither kirbed nor reversed? That is how I read it. Sneck bend with no off-set. Sneck, to be read as square bend...

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Yeah, that's how I would read it now. So reading your quote again, I would say that Skues is saying that a down eye, round bend is preferred. Second, would be a Sneck (square bend) neither reversed or kirby offset followed by a limerick bend. So Gunner's color plate would not be to far off.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Old Hat wrote:Yeah, that's how I would read it now. So reading your quote again, I would say that Skues is saying that a down eye, round bend is preferred. Second, would be a Sneck (square bend) neither reversed or kirby offset followed by a limerick bend. So Gunner's color plate would not be to far off.
Skues says in the patterns of the book nymph fishing for chalkstream trout as second best Hook a Pennell sneck. Roger Woolley seems to me explain that in there time they use one word for two different things, see the scan I placed in this thread.

Lance could you ask Mister Terry Lawton what is the right opinion.

The flies Lance has put on the thread seems all have hooks with a round bend.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

I tied one of the March Brown nymphs today and mine sure doesn't look like the picture in the first post. In my defense I will say my computer connection was down when I tried it. The issues I had was/were my hun partridge hackle is too long and I forgot I had gold wire for the ribbing. It was still hanging off the end of the fly after I finished the hackle.

I'll have to look at my other hun skins for shorter hackle. The skin I'm using is about at the end of it's life as it's been pretty picked over.

Looks like the orange silk needs to be waxed also.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 pm

zen leecher wrote: I forgot I had gold wire for the ribbing. It was still hanging off the end of the fly after I finished the hackle.
:D You are certainly not the first to accomplish that trick.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Ruard wrote:Lance could you ask Mister Terry Lawton what is the right opinion.
Ruard, give me a little time on this. I am distracted with the beginning of the semester and other matters, and need to reread this thread to make sure I understand what is going on.

I have seen sneck hooks available on the internet.

L
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:11 am

Howdy All;

Happy to report that my materials have been trickling in.
The Bear's fur showed up > http://www.bearsden.com/page106.html < and so has the Seal, courtesy of a
Gentleman named Dave McNeese > http://www.davemcneese.com/index.html <
He was kind enough to send not only the requested Dark Olive but also some medium and light olive
as well as some old Mustad (38933 #14 tue), and Allcock (5887 #9 2X stout), hooks. The hooks are on their
way from Norway (Kenhook), Mustads 1557 #15's Limreick. Our own tye2fish is helping me with the tailing
and hackle materials, Thanks Mr. Bill!
Looking forward to putting these together. :D

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin