Leisenring's Orphan Nymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Re: Leisenring's Orphan Nymphs

Post by hankaye » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Howdy All;

Ok, gotta suck it up and ask for some help ... :roll:

Have been able to find some Wapsi packets of the feathers I'm hoping will
fill the bill for the 'Blue Dun' feathers called for in the recipe.
(Written descriptions of colors are useless to me danged colors are subjective
and we each interpret them differently...)
They carry the Wapsi numbers of;
#029 for a Hen Neck
#214 for a Indian Rooster Saddle pack

Problem for me is I don't have anywhere near (less than 3 hour drive one-way),
If someone would be willing to price these items in a local shop I'll gladly front
the cost plus postage and any expense for travel...
I will end up with much more than I'll use for this swap, but, I won't end up with 2
chickens worth of feathers hangin' around ...
Thanks for considering helping someone near the middle of the Black hole of fishing.

hank

PS. Good news, found some hooks at Kenhook ...
Mustad 1575 #15 Limericks...
Now to wait till they all get here. :D
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:43 pm

tie2fish wrote: I chose the #19 because the #6A color that we sometimes call "light orange" is also known as "gold". If anyone knows for sure which shade was used by Skues and/or JL, please let me know.
Bill,
This is marvelous. If I had seen this before I ordered, I probably would have gotten a spool of hot orange as well as 6a gold. I was worried that "hot" = fluorescent. I have some hot orange uni floss that is fluorescent. I was expecting the Pearsall's to somewhat follow suit.

Kirk
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Kirk, I'm going to go with the Orange #6a. It's hard to argue with Bill's results, so if I were smart I would probably choose the #19, but I'm not always. Besides comparing the two flies using the different silks makes for a more interesting comparison.

Tonight, for the Pale Watery Nymph 2, I prespun a number of bodies using the #1 white silk, clear wax (as clear as I have) and undyed seal, then I spun a batch using the light Aussie opossum. I have to say, when get to tie these up, I expect to like the opossum bodies best. I'm going have quite a trial period with the seal fur and no rib to help reign it in.

Happy to be at the vise,

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:56 am

Hi Bill and William,

My experience is that the 6A becomes more brown when wet and that the 19 stays more orange. Somebody named the 6A gold but he/she was not aware of the changing of the colour (?)

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:21 am

I was wondering about the hook Skues recommend in his book nymph fishing for chalkstream trout. He recommends on page 109 til 118 the roundbend hook or the Pennell sneck hook. if we look at the drawings of Gunnar Johnson the hook should be a sneck hook with a kind of square bend, but the word sneck is also be used in another way and the slight comes from Roger Wooly:

I also found in The flydressers Guide: The outpoint of "sneck" hooks turns to the right holding the eye of the hook towards you, while the outpoint of "reversed" hooks tuns to the left.

I think Skues uses a roundbend hook with or without a "sneck"in it.

greeting
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:31 am

A Sneck is the shape of the hook, like a perfect bend or sproat. When a hook is off set it is called a reverse. So the total nomenclature is reversed sneck bend. Now if it is bent latterly to the other direction it has another name which escapes me this early in the morning.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:11 am

narcodog wrote:A Sneck is the shape of the hook, like a perfect bend or sproat. When a hook is off set it is called a reverse. So the total nomenclature is reversed sneck bend. Now if it is bent latterly to the other direction it has another name which escapes me this early in the morning.

Hi Narcodog,

I always thought that it was the way you say it. But John Veniard give also the meaning of the word sneck for:

The outpoint of "sneck" hooks turns to the right holding the eye of the hook towards you, while the outpoint of "reversed" hooks tuns to the left.

John Wooly described it as "slightly snecked" for a roundbend hook.

Greeting
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:41 am

Tomayto/tomaato ... "offset" works fine :geek: .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:57 am

If you have access to Darrel Martins "Th Fly Fisher's Illustrated Dictionary" he has a very good although a some what confusing description of the sneck hook. It seems that there are several ways one can define a sneck. Some refer it to just the offset, while others to the bend it's self.

For me I'm gonna stick with the shape of the bend.

If John S. sees this he may be able to shed some light on the subject. He is the hook MAN.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:14 am

It appears there may be a morph of how the word "Sneck" is used today and yesterday.

Everyone I have known refers to "sneck" as the bend of the hook. A square bend. But if you read this quote by Skues posted by DD in the swap thread.

"My own beliefs is that wet flies tied on gut swim better and hook better than those tied on eyed hooks. As the drying action of casting is reduced to a minimum, they are not so ready to go at the neck as when used as dry flies; but if the angler prefers it, there is no reason why he should not use eyed hooks, though snecked bends of any kind and upturned hooks are deprecated. Down-eyed hooks, round, unsnecked square-bend, and Limerick, in that order named, are recommended".

I posed the question with not yet a response there. What is an unsnecked square-bend hook? This distinguishes the square bend from the "snecked" description and would possibly support Ruard's position.

Interesting.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com