Trueblood Otter

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Trueblood Otter

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:55 pm

I just photographed some of these for an article so I'll kick off this section with the Trueblood Otter. This is one of the longest running nymphs in my boxes.. A great searching pattern and excels as a sowbug or scud as originally designed.

Trueblood Otter Nymph aka Trueblood’s Shrimp aka Otter Shrimp. Ted Trueblood.
Hook: 3x heavy standard, #6-#14 (originally tied on Mustad 7948a)
Thread: tan
Tail: partridge fibers short
Body: a mix of otter underfur with guard hairs and a little bit of white or cream seal or simi-seal
Throat: partridge fibers short

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Re: Trueblood Otter

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Wow that's a beauty!
What is this article that you speak of? And more importantly , how does one get to read it?
Jim
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks Jim.

I put together an article for the blog Frankenfly. It covered three "old school" stillwater wets: the Sheep Creek Special, the Trueblood Otter and the Timberline Emerger. He only ran a partial of the Sheep Creek Special step by step. I thought he would run the write up and the other flies as well. I need to contact him. If he isn't going to use the other stuff I'll post it here.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Carl, I can see you doing very well with this. I haven't tied beard style nymphs but this is certainly a nice combination. Especially the dubbing blend. Very nice fly. I'm looking forward to seeing your article.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Carl, can you explain your method of forming the beard or throat hackle in this pattern. Is it a bunch tied in place, or a wrapped hackle stroked down and caught in place with a couple of tight wraps?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi Jeff,
I tie in a bunch of stripped fibers underneath with the tips forward in the beginning steps. I then tie the fly and finish by pushing the fibers back, spreading them a bit with my fingers and tying them in place when I finish the head. That way they are folded back and I know they are secure.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:56 am

I had forgotten about this fly. I saved it in my bookmarks under fly recipes. The recipes are "to do" in the future. This fly is a beauty. You should be proud of it. I am going to have to try some of these. Thanks for sharing. :D