Golden Pheasant Tail Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Golden Pheasant Tail Nymph

Post by William Anderson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Jim, you've taken me off guard with this addition as well. It's not a bad idea, but I would like to see the posts remain rather relevant to nature of the forum, and I would not want to be the one to define that. :D

This is an excellent opportunity to further the study of the JL/PH/Skues nymphs and those that were derived from them, as well as the Sawyer material. Thanks for starting a fresh discussion.

This is one that I favor in various sizes and proportions. Nothing surprising, just a Golden Pheasant Tail Nymph and copper wire. I would fish this for any number of crawling or swimming species. This is tied on a dry fly hook for a very shallow presentation. Most of my nymphs are.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Re: Golden Pheasant Tail Nymph

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Excellent post William.
While I personally prefer using and tying with traditional natural materials there is no denying of new materials and their fish catching abilities. I am slow to move to this position and it has been changed because of the fishermen and tyers that come through my shop. The nymph is one fly that has the most innovation. It is a constantly evolving , we would do ourselves a service to discuss and share this evolution. Many of our members are using these new materials in their wingless wets. Understanding how and where they are applying these materials and their successes with these patterns would benefit all who maybe interested. Nymphs seems a perfect fit for this.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Great pheasant tail Willliam. A nice simple nymph that will work for a lot of insects. You have a nice proportion going on with this one as well. I fish most of my nymphs unweighted also but will use different hook weights to adjust the depth slightly.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Nice work William!
Many of my own PT variations are tied with Golden Pheasant rather than Ringneck. I like your style. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:09 pm

Will, that's a beauty. Simple and effective. I like seeing that people use hook weights to adjust presentation of their nymphs rather than loading up on shot. Really smart imo.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:47 pm

thanks so much for the kind comments. I typically tie a hare's dubbing thorax under the wing case on nymphs. This is certainly one of my favorites, though I have a hard time fishing these often. I'll have to spend more time honing the skills to put these unweighted nymphs directly upstream to risers.

thanks again.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com