Stonefly box

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

JohnP

Stonefly box

Post by JohnP » Tue May 20, 2014 5:06 pm

The rendezvous at Yellowstone is less than a month away. Here are a few of the flies I have tied in preparation:

DUBBN

Re: Stonefly box

Post by DUBBN » Tue May 20, 2014 5:28 pm

John, you do amazing work! In my opinion, that is as good of a Stone Nymph assortment as has ever been taken to a Western river. The proportions on your nymphs are spot on sir.

I have to admit, when I saw the tails on these , I ginned from ear to ear.

You really do great work John. Thanks for sharing your Stone Nymphs.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue May 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Looks like enough to share. Excellent! :D ;)

John - You put my fly boxes to shame. Mine are a jumbled mess from fishing. You set a fine example of as a skilled fly tyer. Very impressive. Please reconsider bringing your vice and tying tools. I'd love to watch you tye some of these.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Excellent work John.
I do not think I have a single fly box that is as well organised, nor as full or complete...... and I have a FEW fly boxes!
Looks to be a great selection of patterns, colours and choices.
I hope they work for you and you don't share too many around whilst you are there.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 pm

OK this is fun! Great ties and excellent looking flies. I just tied up 26 Girdle Bugs hoping to add to my mix. Your selection will help me add a bit more spice. Thanks. John it's hard to tell what sizes you tied. Please advise. My Girdle bugs are #6
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed May 21, 2014 7:02 am

You are ready to slay, JohnP. Great looking selection and very well tied. Exactly the variety needed to figure out what they want on any given day.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 am

I hope I'm camping next to JohnP as I might want to "borrow" a few of his stoneflies.
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed May 21, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! I doubt the box will look as neat after it has gone fishing (most of my fly boxes are a tangled mess). The stoneflies range in size from a #6, 4XL to a #10, 2XL. There are also a few Prince nymphs and possie buggers mixed in, and a few small black stones.
P.S.: I would love to see what others are tying in anticipation of the gathering. ;)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed May 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Excellent set stones, John. I have tied a small pile of stones for Montana as well, but nothing quite like this. I know who I want to pilfer flies from when we get there. Nicely done.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri May 23, 2014 9:46 am

Yea, I need to tie some stones up. These are really nice, I like the proportions on these a lot. Maybe I'll sit down at the desk after work tonight and get crackin.