Higa’s S.O.S.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Higa’s S.O.S.

Post by DUBBN » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:53 am

The latest and greatest now being fished on Colorado rivers. I tyed a few up. Perhaps I can get out in the next few weeks to try them out.

Sizes 18-20.... Legs were cut a tad short on the first batch.

Variation, size 18... My love hate relationship continues with the color Purple.
hankaye

Re: Higa’s S.O.S.

Post by hankaye » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:00 pm

DUBBN, Howdy;

What is it about this that makes it so good .... other than it's good looks
You and purple will have to go to couples counseling if this keeps up... :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:27 pm

hankaye wrote:DUBBN, Howdy;

What is it about this that makes it so good .... other than it's good looks
You and purple will have to go to couples counseling if this keeps up... :lol:

hank

Hank, as of late every Colorado fly fishing board I visit mentions this pattern. Then my buddy called me a couple days ago and tells me this is the "hot, go to, pattern du jour". So, I tyed a few up. If I ever get to a river again, I will try them out. Perhaps by then, they will be yesterdays news. ;-)

Purple! Ugh! What a STUPID color for trout fishing! :evil: It should be illegal! ;)

BTW, the S.O.S. is meant to imitate the dark Baetis Nymphs found in a lot of Colorado rivers. Black RS2's have always been a favorite of mine for nymphing and as emerging baetis.
paparex

Post by paparex » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:34 pm

For a step-by-step from Spenser Higa himself try http://outsmartingfish.com/2010/12/sos-baetis-nymph/. You will notice Higa uses an Orvis hook (he is an Orvis Guide) and black pheasant tail. Every fly doesn't have to be a copy of the original and many times the patterns are improved upon with a change in material. I have not fished Dubbin's pattern, but I will tie some tonight to be fished soon. I always find his ties fascinating.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Thank you Paparex. For the first time in a month or so I am excited to get out on the rivers. Trying this pattern out should be fun.