Kaufmann's Simulator

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ScottP

Kaufmann's Simulator

Post by ScottP » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 pm

The Simulator is another Bugger variation, similar to the Leib Bug without the front wings, and Polly Rosborough's Non-descript Nymph (Oregon's obviously a Fertile Crescent of flytying). Tied in-the-round style, there is no right side up or upside down. It's the kind of fly you can fish amongst the rocks (where the stoneflies live and the trout know it) and not care when you get snagged on occasion; quick and easy to tie - much easier than Kaufmann's Stonefly (I weep when I lose them).

hook - Mustad 79580 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 black
underbody - non-tox wire .025
tail - biots black
rib - copper wire x-fine
body - dubbing mix rabbit/angora (black, brown, red, orange)
hackle - black saddle
Old Hat

Re: Kaufmann's Simulator

Post by Old Hat » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:49 pm

I stopped the tying the Kaufmann's stone years ago. A great fly pattern no doubt, the investment/loss ration just too much for me when there are plenty more patterns that seemingly work just as well for me given the little amount of time I dredge the abyss now a days.

These are nice nymphs you are posting Scott and I appreciate how they still "fit" the theme of this forum.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:13 am

Scott, this stonefly pattern looks great, especially for all the disturbance it must make with the clipped palmer hackle. Do you fish this much? Anyone here using this pattern?

As Carl pointed out there are hundreds of stonefly nymph patterns around and I hardly ever fish any of them, but there's a time and place. This is so nicely tied it sparked my interest.

Looking forward to seeing more of your sbs's once fishing season turns to tying season again.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:14 am

Try as I might, I just cannot picture myself fishing a #6 stonefly imitation here, wonder if it will scale well to a #12? ;)

Very nice simplistic yet effective looking fly. Often we might be over complicating patterns in order to find the next best, when a simple "in the round" like this will work just as well in the kind of water described.
I figure tied in brown, (in a #6)this would fish well here as a Bully (small baitfish) imitation- or an XOS stone.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:24 pm

William Anderson wrote: .....As Carl pointed out there are hundreds of stonefly nymph patterns around and I hardly ever fish any of them, but there's a time and place.
I'm just reading a bargain book by Geoffrey Bucknall; "Fly Fishing Tactics for Brown Trout". He admits to using just two nymphs, Pheasant Tail and Hare's Ear (with a Grayling Bug tossed in). In his opinion it is almost all about behaviour of the fly, as long as you have the size right.
Who am I to argue? As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a valid reason for not tying hundreds of patterns.

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Excellent addition Scott. Really nice example of a tyed in the round stonefly nymph. Beautifully tyed, as always.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean