GRHE Dark Version

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Cream Rinse / GRHE Dark Version

Post by daringduffer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:13 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:44 pm I asked my wife, who uses conditioner on her hair, she said conditioner covers the hair fibers with silicone. That might explain why my hare's mask fibers are "silky smooth". :D

She also asked me why I wanted to know. I told her she is better off not knowing. :roll:
I washed the wild wabbit skin that I recently bought. I turned out to be overkill since it was very clean already. After rinsing I treated it with a drop of hair conditioner before rinsing it thorougly once more. When this was done I realized that it might have been a mistake since I had intended do dye som of it. A few days later I made a dye bath with alum as mordant and turmeric as dye. I washed the fur piece once again, trying to clean it from conditioner. It took much longer time than it usually takes before it took on dye but the result was eventually as good as it normally is. I fixed the dye with white vinegar.

dd
Greenwell

Re: GRHE Dark Version

Post by Greenwell » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 am

Here's my instructions for water blending as I outline in my "Spider Resource Sheers."

To process a Hare's Mask, (I usually do 3 or 4 at a time, enough for several hundred flies) take a sharp pair of scissors and remove as much of the brown, mottled fur from the ears as possible. Work from the tip of the ear towards the base and get the scissors as close as you can to the skin before cutting. Collect this fur in a pile or container. Now cut all the fur from the forehead and between the eyes (poll) and keep separate. You can cut the sandy colored fur from the cheeks as well, and lastly I cut away anything else that looks useful and keep it in a separate pile, I call this "Hare's Blend". Each of these piles will be blended separately so don't mix them up.
You'll need a clean jar of about a pint capacity with a tight fitting lid, (a jam jar is perfect) a small wire mesh tea strainer, (you can find these at your local Dollar Store) and some Crème Rinse Hair Conditioner, any brand is OK. I often just use the tiny bottles Of Conditioner from hotels. Most just say "Conditioner" on them. I haven't found that any brand gives better results than another. Just don’t use shampoo, it will make a sudsy mess! Fill the jar about half full with warm tap water, put in the Ear Fur and about a teaspoon of the conditioner. Screw on the lid and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds or so, then pour the contents into the tea strainer. Swirl a bit more water in the jar to get all the fur out and pour through the strainer. It will look like you have lost a good deal of the fur but it'll all be there. Keeping the fur in the strainer, rinse well under warm running tap water, then squeeze as dry as possible, remove the fur to a few layers of paper towel or newspaper, squeeze against the paper to blot up the moisture and let dry completely overnight before storing in a Zip-lock bag or other sealed container. Repeat with the remaining furs you have kept separate; these will give you several distinct colored/textured dubbings from a single mask. If you haven't tried this before you're in for a treat; it will be the cleanest, easiest to dub fur you can imagine and becomes almost silky in texture.
This process works with almost any fur. Mole, rabbit, muskrat, beaver, fox, and mohair, are wonderful when treated this way. You can also blend furs of different colors, textures, etc. together, or add chopped synthetics; whatever you like. For example, muskrat and fox makes a nice blend. Experiment!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks John. I'd like to turn this into a tutorial at some point, along with pics of the process.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 pm

letumgo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:37 am Thanks John. I'd like to turn this into a tutorial at some point, along with pics of the process.
Yes, please! This is another wildly informative thread...
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Another thing to watch out for if you're going to dye something is not to use any detergent that contains optical brighteners. The safest bet for most is Dawn detergent. I use Synthapol which is a detergent made for dyers.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:34 pm

I use washing-up liquid. Is that a safe choice?

dd
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 am

John , thanks for giving us a detailed method off blending fur. I personally don’t need a lot so a couple of masks will be good for me. Have you ever tried a LAW dubbing rake?
I’m wondering if the Hares Masks we buy in the USA are the same as those in the U.K.? Over here I don’t believe the “Hare” exists, but the Jack Rabbit does, or maybe they are one of the same thing. If anybody knows maybe they could set me straight.
Thanks
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 am

Bazzer69 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 am John , thanks for giving us a detailed method off blending fur. I personally don’t need a lot so a couple of masks will be good for me. Have you ever tried a LAW dubbing rake?
I’m wondering if the Hares Masks we buy in the USA are the same as those in the U.K.? Over here I don’t believe the “Hare” exists, but the Jack Rabbit does, or maybe they are one of the same thing. If anybody knows maybe they could set me straight.
Thanks
Barry
In Maine all we have is Snowshoe Hare, and usually in abundance. I think it was Leisenring who said that American Hare was worthless, but having never used a true English Hare's mask I couldn't tell you why.
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Growing up in the adirondacks, I cant count the number of masks and feet that went in the trash after hunting and skinning them. We have some here in Michigan, but they are becoming more and more rare. I believe that the decline is due to habitat and other factors. I would love to come across one these days to score a few feet and a mask. Just need to put some time in the woods.

Dave