Stripped Peacock Quill Bodies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Boarmountain

Re: Stripped Peacock Quill Bodies

Post by Boarmountain » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:15 am

They look great 👍
Mike B.
International, North American, National champion taxidermist specializing in "catch & release" fish mounts
Custom bamboo and glass rods
www.prairiedrifter.com
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 am

John
Yes, I’ve tried them, and they make nice bodies, but I would rather strip and dye my own. One thing about Peacock is that it is not very translucent or durable-ditto for goose and condor.
IMHO, the very best “Quill for body” material is the stripped mallard quill, ala Ted Niemeyer. Duck quills are translucent with two dark edges, and slightly elastic.....very similar to grouse quill. LiBelieve me, once you try it, you will use nothing else.
Here’s a few pictures of some I made over the weekend, what do you think?

Dana
Attachments
Scotch tied Mallard quill body, wet
Scotch tied Mallard quill body, wet
39ECB3E1-3EA8-4496-BC85-126170FD1907.jpeg (215 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
Scotch tied mallard body
Scotch tied mallard body
EAFCF78A-1C92-489C-A4DF-A5EFB0D3C726.jpeg (237.1 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
Mallard quill body
Mallard quill body
13742ACB-210A-4108-927A-1BB392E8D3C1.jpeg (193.83 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
Soft and wet - the only way....
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 am

Dana ~ Please describe (and maybe illustrate with a photo or two?) how you go about processing a mallard quill. Specifically, where does it come from on the bird and how do you "strip" it?

John ~ Your flies look really good to me. Nice tying.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am

The pieces I use are the center stems: the rachis. Sometimes I color them with Pantone pens, but more often than not I let the color of the silk underneath shine through.

It’s definitely a job to separate the hardcover written from the rest of the feather, But it’s well worth it. Someone on eBay is selling pre-stripped quills from Ted Niemeyer’s estate - I bought some, and they are beautiful.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:55 am

Theroe wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am The pieces I use are the center stems: the rachis. Sometimes I color them with Pantone pens, but more often than not I let the color of the silk underneath shine through.

It’s definitely a job to separate the hardcover written from the rest of the feather, But it’s well worth it. Someone on eBay is selling pre-stripped quills from Ted Niemeyer’s estate - I bought some, and they are beautiful.
Please be more specific, Dana ... I really want to know how to do this. The rachis from what feather? Do you cut the barbs from the stem or use some other method?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:02 am

the Polish quills work great.. been using them on jig flies, and small mayfly nymphs for a couple years. I also will strip my own quills, by using an eraser to remove the barbules(sorry not feather tech savvy) and have also used pens to color the natural peacock. I have found the dyed peacock feathers don't work as well as the naturals. Apparently the dying process weakens the quill and when they are stripped, they are more fragile..... but the Polish brand uses a dying process that doesn't seem to weaken the quill...
I also use a UV resin to coat the bodies. These nymphs hold up very well and I like the segmented look and slim profiles of the bodies...

Here's one that works for me....
Attachments
quill body soft hackle.jpg
quill body soft hackle.jpg (108.02 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
Last edited by ronr on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:28 pm

WiFlyfisher wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 am
Theroe wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am The pieces I use are the center stems: the rachis. Sometimes I color them with Pantone pens, but more often than not I let the color of the silk underneath shine through.

Dana,

So you are stripping the shaft?

John
Yes
BTW - those are GREAT looking flies you tied with the polish quills - deadly!
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Theroe wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 am John
Yes, I’ve tried them, and they make nice bodies, but I would rather strip and dye my own. One thing about Peacock is that it is not very translucent or durable-ditto for goose and condor.
IMHO, the very best “Quill for body” material is the stripped mallard quill, ala Ted Niemeyer. Duck quills are translucent with two dark edges, and slightly elastic.....very similar to grouse quill. LiBelieve me, once you try it, you will use nothing else.

Dana

Does the soft hackle actually wrap around the body of the fly when it is in the water? I am referring to the first photo.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:42 pm

tie2fish wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:55 am

Please be more specific, Dana ... I really want to know how to do this. The rachis from what feather? Do you cut the barbs from the stem or use some other method?
Bill-I’ll put some in to soak tonight when I get home, and take some pictures to post.
Dana
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:45 pm

Trifly wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm
Theroe wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 am John

Dana

Does the soft hackle actually wrap around the body of the fly when it is in the water? I am referring to the first photo.
Yes - The hackle undulates back-and-forth.......That’s the main reason that Scotch tied hackle is soooo deadly!