Frank Sawyer's Nymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Bazzer69

Re: Frank Sawyer's Nymphs

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 pm

John, thanks for your insight. The hooks that I have seen in photos of genuine Frank S PT’s look fairly long in the shank and certainly have huge barbs compared to modern day hooks. Does the colour or the fly make much difference? In my experience as a long in the tooth guide there are days when it doesn’t seem to matter on the choice of fly or colour, but on other days if you haven’t got the right fly in the right size and colour your going home skunked. What’s vitally important with nymphing is presenting the fly at the right depth and speed to the fish. But not to take the thread off on a tangent it’s really nice to see some original PT’s as tied by mrs Sawyer.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Bazzer69 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 pm
John, thanks for your insight. The hooks that I have seen in photos of genuine Frank S PT’s look fairly long in the shank and certainly have huge barbs compared to modern day hooks. Does the colour or the fly make much difference? In my experience as a long in the tooth guide there are days when it doesn’t seem to matter on the choice of fly or colour, but on other days if you haven’t got the right fly in the right size and colour your going home skunked. What’s vitally important with nymphing is presenting the fly at the right depth and speed to the fish. But not to take the thread off on a tangent it’s really nice to see some original PT’s as tied by mrs Sawyer.
Barry
Barry,

Small barbs are a relatively recent innovation in hook making, and most older hooks have a fairly large barb. There was a reason for this and it had to do with the manufacturing process: the barb was used as a "catch" when the hook wire was bent around the hook forming mandrel. This was true of both hand made and early machine made hooks. Darrel Martin shows this process in his book: The Fly-Fisher's Craft. Not too long ago, barbless hooks cost more than the same model of barbed hook as the barbless hooks were more complicated to make.

The issue of color in flies can be debated endlessly. We like having just the right color materials for many of our fly patterns and go to great lengths to get them, which is a big part of the fun of fly tying. When it comes to actual fishing, my opinion is that color doesn't matter as much as many would like to believe, especially in dry flies. The "wrong" color fly fished correctly is many times more effective than the "right" color fly fished poorly. And I'll think I'll leave it at that!
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:24 pm

I fish PT nymphs in just 3 colors. Natural, Black, and dyed antique yellow which is a muted yellow where there is still plenty of the brown of the feather. These are the 3 that I have found a need for at times. I have tried red with success but not sure it departs from the effectiveness of natural.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Has anyone concluded that a dyed color of pheasant tail feathers works *better* than the natural color? I suspect many dyed colors work as well, but not necessarily better. As we all know, day-to-day or even hour-to-hour fishing results are variable, and establishing whether one color is better than another is difficult to do with confidence. Fishing a tandem pair of PTs that differ only by color might reveal a preference, but, in the words of Datus Proper, "We seldom try to prove selectivity. Catching trout is too much fun."
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:41 pm

I built a tandem leader to try next year. But IMHO freestone trout I feel can be less selective at times than spring creek trout, like the H.F.

My guess is it won't make a difference as much as size and maybe shape will.

also, need to do a white English porcelain bowl wet test when the wife is at work and my left hand is back in full working order,

John
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm

I saw a photo of yet another pheasant tail nymph in a magazine today. The difference from an ordinary was more of a tail and then a bunch of cdc bursting out from the split thorax cover. It was probably intended to be fished in the film. I caught just a glimpse of it.

dd
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 pm

daringduffer wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm
I saw a photo of yet another pheasant tail nymph in a magazine today. The difference from an ordinary was more of a tail and then a bunch of cdc bursting out from the split thorax cover. It was probably intended to be fished in the film. I caught just a glimpse of it.

dd
Of course there are many variations on FSPT and I’m sure all of them work, but in my experience the original dressing works the best with a little variation occasionally on the size and colour
B
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either