Tups Indispensable

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wsbailey

Re: Tups Indispensable

Post by wsbailey » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Jacobsen wrote that he thought the discoloration was caused by sheep bugs and urine. I don't know; he might be right. I think it could be canary stain.

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/whats-yellow ... ps-fleece/
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:30 pm

That is magic! I wished I still lived in Newbury I would love to see that fly!!!!!

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

I obtained my rams wool from Nistock Farm in Vermont ( I think). It had the yellow staining which did not wash out. I found the I didn’t need much “yellow” wool or red seal. The finished result was nice in my opinion. But of course no one really knows the orginal formula and it seemed to be changed over the course of time.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:10 pm

One photo "supposedly shows" a sample of the original Tup's dubbing. The next photo shows a sample that a fellow in the UK sent to me from his Father's / Grandfather's stash of materials, which I used to mix the bag shown. SInce then, I've added a little more yellow seal sub to my mix.
Attachments
Tups Mix - 02_zpsneavtcx4.jpg
Tups Mix - 02_zpsneavtcx4.jpg (138.69 KiB) Viewed 29373 times
Tup's Dubbing Mix - 01.jpg
Tup's Dubbing Mix - 01.jpg (181.08 KiB) Viewed 29373 times
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:29 pm

NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 pm

Does any shop offer a good Tups dubbing? The Valla recipe looks perfect but as near as I can tell, True Red wool yarn no longer exists and cheddar Felt Dimensions is either gone or on the endangered species list. That, and if you acquired all those ingredients, spending the better part of $50, you’d have a multigenerational supply. Interested in testing out the best Tups recipe on the Frying Pan this September for the PMDs, hoping the world is back to something resembling normal by then. Stay safe, be well, tie flies.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:36 am

NedZeppelin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 pm Does any shop offer a good Tups dubbing? The Valla recipe looks perfect but as near as I can tell, True Red wool yarn no longer exists and cheddar Felt Dimensions is either gone or on the endangered species list. That, and if you acquired all those ingredients, spending the better part of $50, you’d have a multigenerational supply. Interested in testing out the best Tups recipe on the Frying Pan this September for the PMDs, hoping the world is back to something resembling normal by then. Stay safe, be well, tie flies.
Ned

If you're interested in my mix, pop me a PM with your info and I'll send you some of my mixture.

Bob
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:29 pm

NedZeppelin,
NedZeppelin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 pm Does any shop offer a good Tups dubbing? The Valla recipe looks perfect but as near as I can tell, True Red wool yarn no longer exists and cheddar Felt Dimensions is either gone or on the endangered species list. That, and if you acquired all those ingredients, spending the better part of $50, you’d have a multigenerational supply. Interested in testing out the best Tups recipe on the Frying Pan this September for the PMDs, hoping the world is back to something resembling normal by then. Stay safe, be well, tie flies.
PM sent.

hank

PS Belay my last, :lol: Better look to see if I can find where I stached it. Be back before the weekend is over.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri May 01, 2020 12:56 pm

nedzep, Howdy;

Ok, found the stash, how much ya need ??? :D

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Sun May 03, 2020 10:02 am

Thank you all for the generous offers received. I look forward to buzzing this up in the repurposed spice blender and showing the Frying Pan PMDs a new trick this September!