Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

upstatetrout

Re: Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph

Post by upstatetrout » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:54 am

Very nicely tied!!Will Dave Whitlock be at the show?

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:02 pm

That is a very well known pattern; I believe you will lose another $5 bill.

Tight Lines- Ken
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm

I believe this is the critter that you would tie one of these flies from. This one in particular may be reduced to dubbing soon. He, or one of his friends decided to take up residence under the hood of my wife's car recently. Probably seemed like a nice place to live considering the below zero temps that we've had. I would have been ok with it, but he decided to chew wires while in there. Ouch, there goes $1200 bucks . He stopped long enough the other day to snap a photo of. Cute little guy.

Dave
Attachments
20190209_124446.jpg
20190209_124446.jpg (180.3 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
swellcat

Re: Fox Squirrel Fur

Post by swellcat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Yours appears to have a thick, prime winter coat befitting your climate. They don't grow that much insulation 1200 miles southwest of Livonia.

Prettiest fox squirrel I ever saw was one Christmas Day in northwest Missouri, just across from Nebraska, near the river. The animal had a thick, fluffy coat much like yours, but the cinnamon/rust tones were so dark as to almost look burgundy. Had some pheasants not just flushed, that fine fox squirrel might've come home with me.
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm

SenecaLaker wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm I believe this is the critter that you would tie one of these flies from. This one in particular may be reduced to dubbing soon. He, or one of his friends decided to take up residence under the hood of my wife's car recently. Probably seemed like a nice place to live considering the below zero temps that we've had. I would have been ok with it, but he decided to chew wires while in there. Ouch, there goes $1200 bucks . He stopped long enough the other day to snap a photo of. Cute little guy.

Dave
Dave, when you’ve dispatched the little bugger please send me a chunk of the hide! Yep, they have caused a lot of damage for me, not only chewing the computer wires in my car but loads of damage under the house ruining all the insulation. I shoot them all on sight. Here in Northern California I only see the grey tree rat and now their carrying a version of mad cow disease. Grrr!😡
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 am

Nice looking skin John!
And the old fashioned wooden ruler with holes to fit in a 3 ringed binder! Priceless.

Tom
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 pm

I just found a nice fresh roadkill this morning red squirrel, same as the one in the picture !
Soft and wet - the only way....
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:34 pm

SenecaLaker wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm
Dave, when you’ve dispatched the little bugger please send me a chunk of the hide! Yep, they have caused a lot of damage for me, not only chewing the computer wires in my car but loads of damage under the house ruining all the insulation. I shoot them all on sight. Here in Northern California I only see the grey tree rat and now their carrying a version of mad cow disease. Grrr!😡
[/quote]

Barry, he hasn't slowed down enough to accept a pellet, but if you PM your address to me I would gladly send you a piece of one who wasn't quick enough to dodge my truck's rear wheel last winter.

Dave
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Fellows,
I just read the above thread and I found it fascinating! Dave Whitlock will be proud of the excellent nymph you have tied and showed! I know I am! Let me relate how ironic this whole situation is!
On Monday when I got to work, my hunting/trapping co-worker friend Dan presented me with a beautiful fox squirrel hide skinned out in his own unique way. The animal had been run over along the highway and Dear Dan had spied the carcass as he was turning into his driveway. I was now the owner of a wealth of beautiful squirrel fur. All I had to do was clip the fur and store it away. So, I did! This morning, I bagged and stored these furs for future processing! This evening, I tuned into the thread above!
I have to tell you that this same fellow Dan had supplied me with three fox squirrels and one gray this past fall and I also harvested the furs from each of those hides! I am building up a store house of squirrel furs in my den and loving every minute of it! Dan has also offered in the past the urine burned red fox patches which, as we know, contains that precious "Hendrickson Pink" fur which not only does a great number on dry fly bodies but also makes some dandy wet fly/nymph bodies! Yes, Dan is my furrier and collector of fine hides and I am so glad that we work together and often talk furs and such!
I am starting a series of D.W.R.F.S. nymphs and wets this evening for Dan. He was asking me what and how and why these furs are so important to me. I hope I can do as well as you did above! I will post some pictures soon on my progress!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:29 am

Quality stuff. Both the flies and the skin.

Tom