Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: Purple and Hen

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks DUBBN, I have a gray pelt in another location just none here. ;) :lol:
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:07 am

It is quite possible that I have finally developed a fly pattern that is incapable of hooking a trout.

Three trips to the river, using it in a three fly rig. Not one fish on it. Two of those days were stellar! The third day, yesterday, was filled with tiny Browns. Not one took my Purple nightmare.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:21 pm

DUBBN wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:07 am It is quite possible that I have finally developed a fly pattern that is incapable of hooking a trout.
I don't believe that such a fly exists, unless you've removed the point from the hook.

Any fly will catch fish under some circumstances. It's just a question of when and how to fish it.

That fly is very similar to a Snipe and Purple -- a fly on which I've had spectacular results some days and taken the skunk with on others. Of course, it's now going to be a low confidence fly for you and you probably won't fish it again anytime soon.
Bob
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:07 pm

redietz wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:21 pm
DUBBN wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:07 am It is quite possible that I have finally developed a fly pattern that is incapable of hooking a trout.
I don't believe that such a fly exists, unless you've removed the point from the hook.

Any fly will catch fish under some circumstances. It's just a question of when and how to fish it.

That fly is very similar to a Snipe and Purple -- a fly on which I've had spectacular results some days and taken the skunk with on others. Of course, it's now going to be a low confidence fly for you and you probably won't fish it again anytime soon.
I am sure you are right about a pattern than can not catch a fish. Purple and I have disliked each other in the fly fishing arena for many decades. I blame Purple for most of my failures on the stream.

I tied 6 of the Purple midges. In 4 trips, not one fish. I used the last one yesterday an hour before getting off the river. still no fish on it. You are correct, I will not tie anymore up.

Next up. Purple Baetis nymphs. ;-)
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:05 am

DUBBN wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:07 pm Purple and I have disliked each other in the fly fishing arena for many decades.
I feel that way about green.

Except chartreuse, of course.
Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 am

= Purple and I have disliked each other in the fly fishing arena for many decades. I blame Purple for most of my failures on the stream.
Purple has never work for me either - EVER. Maybe, this is because I never used Pearsall‘s purple :shock: ?
That is up until now – Mike sent me a spool of authentic Pearsalls purple, maybe that will change my luck.....

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Ugh!

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:31 am

Let the field trials begin! :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:49 am

Theroe wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 am
= Purple and I have disliked each other in the fly fishing arena for many decades. I blame Purple for most of my failures on the stream.
Purple has never work for me either - EVER. Maybe, this is because I never used Pearsall‘s purple :shock: ?
That is up until now – Mike sent me a spool of authentic Pearsalls purple, maybe that will change my luck.....

Dana
...and I was happy to give it. Purple may work for Alan Petrucci but I've never caught anything with that color.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 pm

When little trout grow up and travel as Steelhead they like purple! ;)
For example...

one of Alec Jackson's Spades
ImageIMGP3056 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

or John Shewey's Spawning Purple
ImageIMGP0093 by William Lovelace, on Flickr