Slattery's Triple Threat

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Slattery's Triple Threat

Post by DUBBN » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Until I saw Hans' version I forgot I have tied these before. I too use a split thread for the thorax. I used some Triple Threat today with success. I have used patterns as good as the Triple Threat, but none better.

For a just for fun, try Ostrich for a thorax on a few.
ronr

Post by ronr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 am

REE, thanks for the link to Jim's article. I had watched Han's video as a refresher, but I remembered that Jim used a dubbing loop instead of split thread. Mine were tied with the dubbing loop. Jim shared some of his green dubbing blend during my visit. I did have a little luck yesterday with the fly, and I do mean little. Yep that's a rainbow on one fly and a brown on the other.
fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg (399.46 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:43 am

Hey, a fish is a fish. Your a lucky man to be out standing in a river waving a stick.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 am

Twice as nice! :D thanks for bringing us along. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:11 am

I had not really fished the Triple Threat very much until lately. Since I tied up the current batch, I've used it as the point fly on a two fly cast for my last three outings. The set up I've been using is a trout spey rig recently suggested in Fly Fisherman by Whitney Gould. It calls for putting a large 3mm tippet ring on a 7.5-9.0 foot leader and attaching an 8in dropper to the ring along with another section of tippet equal to the length of the largest fish you expect to catch. I was skeptical of the large ring, but I found that it did not interfere with the cast and the fish didn't care either. I was also concerned with the 8in dropper fouling. After two days of using this set up, the dropper fouled less that a dropper attached with a surgeon's knot and the typical 3in length.

I fished yesterday with a friend who is an excellent angler and he was using a more traditional wet fly rig. We were having a very good day. The Triple Threat was just killing it almost all day until a few fish started rising and then would attack the small spider I was using as a top fly on the dropper. Then it was a toss up. In the end, the Triple Threat in green and tan was the winner at least 10 to 1 over the other flies we used.
And if you've never tried Whitney's set up, give it a try.

It is caddis season here in Central Oregon, but Slattery's fly will be in my box from now on.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:00 pm

Haven't seen the article, but will try the dropper rig. Thanks for the heads up.

I've had Jim's fly in my caddis box since he published that article on FAOL. It just seems to catch a lot of fish.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks for the inspiration Ron!!
I have a couple of caddis tied to try when I get over there again...

ImageIMGP0429 by William Lovelace, on Flickr