Hot-wire Prince Nymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Hot-wire Prince Nymphs

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:19 pm

I've started tying for our 11-18 Sep trip to CO. Near the end of summer, the best hatches always seem to be over. Not being a fan of casting dry flies in the blind (when there are no fish rising), I fish mostly nymphs, especially on the larger water.

From Charlie Craven's 2015 book, Tying Nymphs, I've added a new pattern to my fly box: Hot-wire Prince. Instead of tying the body completely out of peacock, he uses 2 different colors of wire for the abdomen and peacock for the thorax. So many choices by changing wire colors plus tail and leg colors..............

On this fly, I used black and amber.
DSC01890.JPG
DSC01890.JPG (137.78 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Here are some other options. Clockwise from 12 o' clock: Red & Gold, Chartreuse & Black, Blue & Black, and Olive & Gold.
DSC01898.JPG
DSC01898.JPG (164.72 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
We will be staying in Salida and fishing the Arkansas River for the 1st time. Hope to fish some smaller streams too, but we will see about water levels. At the end of March, they were reporting 99% of normal snowpack; however, by the end of April, snowpack had fallen to 82%. We will also take our float tubes and look at lake fishing options. I would appreciate any tips from people who have fished this area. Not asking for GPS coordinates to your favorite spot, just some general info on places to try, flies that have worked, or even a good place to eat breakfast or dinner!

Thanks- Ken
DUBBN

Re: Hot-wire Prince Nymphs

Post by DUBBN » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:20 pm

I wish I could help you Ken. Sadly, the Arkansas drainage is one I have never fished.

Your Hot Wire Prince nymphs look awesome and should make great attractor patterns.

If the Arkansas is anything like the Gunnison, I would drop a small soft hackle off the Prince, and a size 20 to 22 baetis off of the sh.

A Slim Shady baetis size 22 to 20 would be my first choice. A Gray RS2 would be my second. In size 20 and 18.

I will be off work starting tomorrow , for a couple weeks. If you would like a few patterns let me know and I will send some.
flyfud1

Post by flyfud1 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:12 pm

The upper Arkansas just below Leadville at Hayden Meadows has been my go to spot this year.

Major caddis hatches, some drakes, golden stones, baetis and, now, hoppers, beetles and ants. I don't fish nymphs very often so I've used dry flies and soft hackles. Dry dropper or hopper dropper rigs work well in this section.

Check out Arkanglers.com for latest info.

Charlie Vestal
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:17 pm

flyfud1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:12 pm The upper Arkansas just below Leadville at Hayden Meadows has been my go to spot this year.

Major caddis hatches, some drakes, golden stones, baetis and, now, hoppers, beetles and ants. I don't fish nymphs very often so I've used dry flies and soft hackles. Dry dropper or hopper dropper rigs work well in this section.

Check out Arkanglers.com for latest info.

Charlie Vestal
Charlie, with Glenwood Canyon closed I have the choice of going home to Grand junction, via Steamboat or Monarch.

I think I will return via Monarch Pass with my fly gear.

Thanks for the tip.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:46 pm

I grew up on the Arkansas, and Sept. is a great time to go. Because of the variety of conditions, it's best to use a hopper/dropper and it doesn't matter if it's a dry with an emerger or dry with nymph, or emerger with nymph, just use some sort of duo fly technique. Even duo streamers have proven effective.

When the water comes down in Aug. and Sept., terrestrials are the flies of choice, especially the hopper. I also like big ants, winged ants size #12 or #14.

Also in Sept. look for the grey blue winged olives. Hatches are in the morning.

Ok, areas on the river you may want to try.
From Buena Vista to Salida the Ark is like a big creek where late summer wading is very easy. There are four pullouts between Salida and Buena Vista. Also, you may want to go to a local grocery store or anywhere to get a State Park Permit because down below Salida, in Sheep Canyon, there are many areas to park, but many are State Park areas, so you need a permit.

From Buena Vista coming down to Salida:
Champion State Wildlife Area near mile marker 147 on US 285 is the first access. The parking lot is well marked on the east side of the highway.

Fisherman's Bridge / Ruby Mountain is also well marked, followed by Hecla Junction off CR 194 where the road comes to the river after three miles.

Mt. Ourey State Wildlife Area provides 3/4 of a mile of public access by way of the CR 166 Bridge to the River Run Inn on the west side only. After crossing a green metal bridge, you will see Mt. Shavano State Hatchery and Rearing Unit on the right side of US 291. Take the paved road to the hatchery to get to the river through mulitple pullouts along the road.

Salida to Canon City:
There are many areas to park and fish in this canyon, and like I said earlier, this is where you'll want that State Park Pass. There are areas for parking every 100 to 500 feet on this stretch of river. So keep the State Park Pass on your window.
The first access from Salida, on US 50, turn left on CR 102. In this area, rainbows MUST be returned back into the river immediately from CR 102 to Badger Creek.

In this canyon, just find a pullout and fish. It's that easy.

Texas Creek is like 25 miles west of Canon City, wading is good here. So coming down the canyon from Salida near the Junction of US 50 and CO 69 take a left at the road next to the Texas Creek Cafe then cross the bridge and you'll see parking on the right. DO NOT PARK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD! It's private property. But you can drive past the private property and you will come to additional parking and drop down to the river from the north.

You should do fine in Sept. Your nymphs will work, but put them below some kind of emerging fly. You don't need to fish the bottom of holes, the fish will rise to the fly.
Have fun, be safe and let us know how you do.
Last edited by Fishnkilts on Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:59 pm

I'm gonna dredge the bottom with nymphs! ;)

If Glenwood Canyon is still closed.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:44 am

flyfud1 & Fishnkilts,

I appreciate your generous tips about places to access the river and flies. I will make sure to have a box of dry flies in my chest pack and not fish just nymphs. I have a foam hopper pattern that needs to see some time on the water and there is the black and purple Chubby Chernoble that served me well last Sep on Soda Butte Creek with a BWO nymph dropper. My reading mentions the Arkansas River as a Brown trout stream with a lot a caddis insects. I will be adding some Sparkle pupa variations to go with my Green butt caddis patterns. Expect the Leisenring spider and other soft hackle patterns will interest the fish too.

Thanks again- Ken
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Thanks again to those who provided advice about where to fish and flies. The Hot-wire Prince did fool this Rainbow and a few Browns too.
DSC01910 (3).JPG
DSC01910 (3).JPG (45.48 KiB) Viewed 2919 times

Tight Lines- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:12 pm

Way to go Ken!!!