More Oct. Caddis

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

More Oct. Caddis

Post by DUBBN » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Friday found me floating the Gunnison River.
Near century temps put down most of the hatches. Still, nymphing in the morning, and swinging soft hackles in the afternoon had me in to enough fish to make me happy.

About an hour before the float ended, an October Caddis landed on my sunglasses. It is the first I have seen this season. I had nothing in my box to cover it.

I am floating again tomorrow. I tied some Orange Muskrats, and threw together another pattern that is less Orange.

I doubt the fish will be on the October Caddis tomorrow, but, I will be ready if they are.

Roadkill

Re: More Oct. Caddis

Post by Roadkill » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:09 pm

My favorite bug!! 8-)

The full dubbed bodies are the ones that I love on the streams.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 am

The Idaho and Washington trouts I have encountered during an October Caddis hatch prefer more muted colors. I used a burnt orange color and hit some of it with a brown marker to further subdue it. I would fish the one with the thread abdomen in a heartbeat. The ones that resemble a carrot fly may do well on Colorado trout.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:48 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 am The Idaho and Washington trouts I have encountered during an October Caddis hatch prefer more muted colors. I used a burnt orange color and hit some of it with a brown marker to further subdue it. I would fish the one with the thread abdomen in a heartbeat. The ones that resemble a carrot fly may do well on Colorado trout.
The full dubbed (Orange Muskrat) is one of the few patterns that I have had 100 fish days with. That being said, it has been many moons since that happened.

I have two super powers.
1. Making beer disappear.
2. Finding and catching the dumbest trout in a river section.

;)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:57 am

Wayne, No doubt it's a producer. A similar fly, the Carrot Fly, has been around for quite some time and works very well. https://midcurrent.com/2021/09/07/tying ... arrot-fly/
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:54 am

DUBBN what size hook do your Gunnison trout prefer in their October Caddis... I'm with Roadkill.. like the thread body version...
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am

DUBBN wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:48 am
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 am The Idaho and Washington trouts I have encountered during an October Caddis hatch prefer more muted colors. I used a burnt orange color and hit some of it with a brown marker to further subdue it. I would fish the one with the thread abdomen in a heartbeat. The ones that resemble a carrot fly may do well on Colorado trout.
The full dubbed (Orange Muskrat) is one of the few patterns that I have had 100 fish days with. That being said, it has been many moons since that happened.

I have two super powers.
1. Making beer disappear.
2. Finding and catching the dumbest trout in a river section.

;)
🤔
I used to have a similar power with fine scotch, now it all just seems to evaporate 😵‍💫
Soft and wet - the only way....
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:19 pm

Man am I glad I tied these up.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:19 pm

Nice! :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:24 am

Really nice. Proof is in the pudding, as they say. Seems as your Colorado fish approve.