Partridge & Tups Variations (Tutorial / SBS)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Partridge & Tups Variations (Tutorial / SBS)

Post by letumgo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:43 pm

No. The tups wool dubbing blend is Mike Vallas creation. I have used his blending method to create other (non-Tups) blends.

I still have some of your Tups dubbing too beautiful stuff. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Awesome tie Ray!

I just went to Joann's and picked 2 of the colors, Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool #098 and the Patons bright red. The lady at Joann's said she has never seen any of the Lion Brand Red #114 in stock. They didn't have any of the Felt Works Cheddar either, so I ordered some on Amazon.

Can't wait to get some cheddar, mix this up and tie a few flies for the river. I am so ready for spring!
Greg
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:38 am

:D ;)

Love it!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:24 pm

Bumping an old thread. I really enjoy these old "secret weapon" type flies that are largely forgotten. I tie the tups also and have come up with what I consider to be a fairly accurate dubbing blend by custom dying some kid angora mohair and some seals fur. Surprisingly enough the one original ingredient I can't seen to find is the lemon spaniel, not the ball hair. I've even tried animal shelters and dog groomers but the conversations get pretty weird when I ask if they have any lemon spaniels specifically. Like I'm a dog-napper or something hahaha. A couple questions. Skues changed the mohair or seal from yellow to red? That's a pretty drastic change! So the pinkish looking pattern we are used to seeing is actually not what the original looked like? Also I'm wondering to anyone that has tried Valla's wool blend, do you still have all the components and would you consider making me up a little package of each? I'm happy to pay for it and cover shipping...I'm just a single dad with full custody of 2 small children and don't have the time to be running all over town to try to locate each item. It would be a big favor