Partridge & Tups Variations (Tutorial / SBS)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

flyfishwithme

Re: Partridge & Tups (variations)

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:02 am

Ray, These are fantastic ties. I have been using the Tups as a 'spider' pattern for a couple of years but I have used a Yellow Dun hen hackle. Have you tried them with that sort of hackle which is closer to the original Tups colour? They sure work for me.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:11 am

Mark - I know what you mean about the seal dubbing. I have made other "Tups" dubbing blends (with seal fur), but was never quite happy with the blend of colors. I just had difficulty getting the ratios right. Mr. Valla's tups blend appealed to me because of the repeatability, and the simple mottled appearance. I just had to give it a try. I am quite pleased with the workability of the dubbing. In other words, the fine wool fibers dub nicely onto the silk tying thread. I did not need to use any wax on the tying silk. As you know, seal can be an unruly (spikey) dubbing to work with.

Another thing that appealed to me about this dubbing blend, is the use of the neutral (cream) colored wool as the base. I imagine that when this material gets wet, it will become more translucent and allow the colors of the silk and other fiber colors show through a bit more. Sort of what I saw when I was working with the silk dubbing last fall. When I get some time, I need to soak one of these flies confirm this ideal. If it works, I will probably try a number of other color blends (tans, olives, browns, pale orange, etc) which could be useful for matching local insects.

Phil - I have not fished with these. They are fresh off the vice. I added a small handful of them to my fly box for testing purposes. I will let you know if they work. I realize the hackle is not true to the original tups recipe. I was intentionally tying variations. I was also messing with the color of the tying silk to see how it altered the appearance of the pattern. I've got a number of ideas, after playing around with this dubbing blend, and the above patterns. Hopefully some of them will be effective fishing patterns.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:14 am

Ray, What great flies. I like Mark look whenever TUP's is mentioned as I do for a Greenwell's . When I read MV's book I was also interested in his blend and agree with you that the repeatability is a key factor plus it looks darn good.

My Tups looks similar but I use seal along with the wool from you know where :D . I was fortunate enough to have someone share a bit with me and I really appreciated the jester. Anyway I think that the use of any wool will give the blend a certain translucent-ency, maybe not as much as seal but to a degree. After all back in the day seal like other items were often substituted with wool.

By the way did I tell you they look marvelous. :lol:
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:06 am

Those are great looking flies, particularly the first variation. Using the silk as ribbing in one continuous tye is brilliant.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:45 am

I find I prefer a paler mix for my Tups-variation flies, like this one:

Tups Indispensable (variation)

(soaked)

Your mileage may vary...

Cheers,
Hans W
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:21 am

Great tying fellas and Hans I am with you on this. When you look at the original materials they are less red and more amber/pink.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Hans,
I really like this "variation" of our dear friend Tups. You have a way of making deliciously looking, buggy patterns that only look better when they are wet. As always, our deepest gratitude for what you have accomplished....and will accomplish!
Your pal,
Densdoug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:15 pm

I got to fish this fly for the first time, earlier this week. It worked like a charm on bluegills in Minerva Lake (New York). Not very large fish, but they took the fly voraciously! Made for a fun morning on my limber fiberglass rod. (*smile*)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm

letumgo wrote:I got to fish this fly for the first time, earlier this week. It worked like a charm on bluegills in Minerva Lake (New York). Not very large fish, but they took the fly voraciously! Made for a fun morning on my limber fiberglass rod. (*smile*)
well heck Ray, that is what it is about, last time I looked... ;)

lovely flies, good fishing. :)
Andrew
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
willowhead

Re: Partridge & Tups Variations (Tutorial / SBS)

Post by willowhead » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:21 am

fantastic stuff........all flies are wonderful.........thankx ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com