Purple Haze

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Purple Haze

Post by Roadkill » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:07 pm

Here is my new Purple Haze tied on a smaller Mustad 36890 #6 using the smaller Medium Opal Mirage. :)

First I lay in a thread base using a tag end to slide the thread wraps next to each other.
ImageRIMG9194 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Then I tie in the tail.
ImageRIMG9196 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I tie in the mylar at an angle, so the rib is ready to wrap forward nice and flat through the dubbing.
ImageRIMG9197 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Next, I loosely wind the dubbing around the thread.
ImageRIMG9198 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Dub the shank, wind the rib and tie it off.
ImageRIMG9199 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I prepare a hackle to tie Alec Jackson style so I can wrap the final wraps with 2 turns of bare stem on a bare hook shank.
ImageRIMG9200 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I don't want to cut off the tip later, so I trim the end to tie it all in under the thread.
ImageRIMG9201 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I add extra thread wraps to hold the hackle securely while I use scissors to fold one side.
ImageRIMG9203 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

ImageRIMG9206 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

ImageRIMG9208 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I back off the extra thread wraps, wrap the hackle, and then the bare stem twice around the bare shank and secure it with thread.
The bare stem is tucked off underneath the return eye shanks, cut off, and the head finished.
ImageRIMG9209 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Fly is finished with head cement.
ImageRIMG9210 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Purple Haze

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:30 am

Thank you Bill, for an excellent tutorial. I like your techniques with the tinsel rib and hackle stem. Little details like that are priceless.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Partsman

Post by Partsman » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:48 am

Thanks for the sbs Roadkill, love that style and the color.
Mike.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:59 am

letumgo wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:30 am Thank you Bill, for an excellent tutorial. I like your techniques with the tinsel rib and hackle stem. Little details like that are priceless.
I have to say my tying has been influenced by many marvelous tyers. I haunt fly shops everywhere I have a chance.

I have learned from great tyers and beginners at shows and expos around the Pacific Northwest. I started with the Oregon Northwest Fly Tyers Expo in 1997 and since have learned from others in Idaho, Washington, and Montana. Many are also members of the Forum. I have to give credit to all those I have watched tying Full Dress Atlantic Salmon Flies who know several remarkable ways to do the same thing. ;)

The hackle and stem techniques are directly from Alec Jackson, who kindly shared his tying skills and remarkable tales of his travels and business adventures. John Shewey taught me the scissors folding.