Doug's Green Beastie Nymph/Flymph (STS Pictorial Tutorial)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:43 am

Photo 1 (below):
Photo 2 (below):
Photo 3 (below):
Photo 4 (below):
Photo 5 (below):
Photo 6 (below):
Photo 7 (below):
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Post by Variant » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:12 am

Doug, Great looking pattern.

Thanks Ray, for posting it. I hope you are doing well during this historic blizzard.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:02 pm

The photos and tying are all Doug’s. I was just helping him post them.

Wonderful flies Doug. I love seeing the tying steps, and seeing how you form the tapered under body.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Partsman

Re: Doug's Christmas Nymph (STS Pictorial Tutorial)

Post by Partsman » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:19 pm

Doug, great looking fly, and very helpful sbs. I think your step by step applies to so many patterns, and makes them at least in my old man mind easier and a lot more helpful! Please keep these coming!
Mike.
RickA

Post by RickA » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:55 am

Very nice, Doug.
Is that Ice Dub?
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:01 pm

RickA wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:55 am Very nice, Doug.
Is that Ice Dub?
I was about to ask the same thing.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:52 pm

Wow Guys, Thank You! And, especially you Ray! You rascal! You have been collecting all the pics that I have been dishing you! Thank you friend! It is very much appreciated!

I will try and answer the questions you folks have.

The dubbing is actually two types (brands). The Christmasy one is from Veniards and is called Peacock Dub - Dark Olive color. It really is electric with lots of light reflecting Antron chopped up in the mix. Green, red, and black. It really did turn out looking like a Christmas flymph although it wasn't my original intent!

The other dubbing is Hareling Dubbin Ice Dub - Peacock color. It has lots of Antron in it as well but with a different color scheme within. The base fur (rabbit) is black and the Antron colors are a brassy gold color and dark green.

Both dubbings are a bit tricky to work with. Thank God for the fur dubbing within each one that makes each more workable onto the waiting tying thread! The end results are pretty spectacular!

The "original intent" mentioned above was a matter of looking for the original recipe for the Green Beastie Nymph (it started out as a nymph) and later Flymph. That's when I discovered that the dubbing I used was Krystal Dub in Olive Brown color. I even found the card that I made back in 2015 and updated in 2022 using this dubbing. Krystal Dub has more rabbit hair in its mix but enough green Antron to lite it up really well! Much easier to dub and control especially when making pre-spun bodies! More later! I think I talk too much!

Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Partsman

Re: Doug's Green Beastie Nymph/Flymph (STS Pictorial Tutorial)

Post by Partsman » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:12 pm

Pays to keep records, and I’m the worst for doing so.I really like this fly and will tie some up soon.
Mike.
DOUGSDEN

Re: Doug's Green Beastie Nymph/Flymph (STS Pictorial Tutorial)

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:38 pm

Hello again everyone!
My deepest thanks go out to Ray for once again posting the pics for this thread! To you friend, I owe much!
You are probably wondering about the "double" that appears above! I was taking out of the pack what I first thought was a single hook and it turned out to be two mated hook bend to eye. After some sincere effort to get them apart including turning the front hook 360 degrees, I tossed the pair onto the base of my vice and was reaching for the pliars to flatten the barb
and free them when it struck me to try tying them as they were. It turned out pretty good. The first pattern was easy with the trailing hook hanging helplessly out of the way. The second pattern was a bit more challenging with the tail and sometimes the hackle getting in the way. It did a while longer but finally they were finished! A cool self-challenge to tackle once in a while but I don't think I want to do this all the time!
The dubbings (spun bodies) on the card above are a labor of love! They can be "worked" more than a body done in place on the hook shank with a dubbing loop. The electric flymphs above were done in place simply because I did not have the time to spin and store them ahead of time. Now, there's a winter time project! Store more pre-spun bodies and add to my collection!
Burning the midnight oil in the den,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.