"Drinking Straw Wrangler" (DIY tying tool)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike62

Re: "Drinking Straw Wrangler" (DIY tying tool)

Post by Mike62 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:19 pm

Hey, Ray; how are you liking the new HMH TRV? If I was ever tempted to mothball my Regal, it would be for the TRV.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 am

Theroe wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:49 am Ray, you never cease to amaze me!!!!!!

Footnote - I couldn’t help but notice that your FLymph Forum mug includes a teabag of the twinings variety. Do yourself a favor and get yourself some Barrys Gold – you’ll never go back!
😀😀
Saw your suggestion and gave Barry's Gold a try. You were correct. Very nice cuppa on a chilly Maine winter morning. Thanks for the post.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:52 am

Mike - I love tying on Vickie Eagle Elk's vise. I have three HMH vises (API/Standard/TRV). Once I bought the TRV, I use it almost exclusively. The jaws of the TRV hold hooks very well and I like the smooth rotation using the large brass knob at the end. The rotation feature has been very handy while tying (checking material placement) and finishing flies (rotating a fly to apply head cement/UV resin/painting eyes/etc). I've been using it a ton while working on these Thunder Creek patterns.

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:35 pm

Nice! That vise is imbued with good karma! Enjoy.

I've got a friend down in Machias who won a TRV in a TU raffle; he hates it (he's a Renzetti man), but he refuses to part with it. I'll keep working on him.