Peacock and Starling (Glanros / Henwing Style)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:11 pm

Hook - Mustad R50U TUE Hook (Size 14)
Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Lt. Cahill)
Hackle & Wing - Starling Rump Feather (leave center tip in at the end to form wing)
Body - Single Strand of Peacock Herl (Natural)

TYING STEPS:
- Secure hook in the vise.
- Mount thread on hook with 5 firm wraps directly behind the eye of the hook.
- Prepare starling feather and tye in by the center stem, feather facing out over the hook eye.
- Select a strand of peacock herl and tye it in by the middle, with the tip towards the bend of the hook.
- Wrap thread back to the barb of the hook, then forward in five closely-touching turns, forming a small thread tag at the rear of the fly.
- Wrap the peacock herl rearwards in closely-touching turns forming the body.
- Secure peacock herl with two turns of thread, then wind thread forward in open spiral reinforcing the herl.
- Wrap hackle rearward, in two of three wraps. Secure hackle with tying thread and carefully open the hackle pliers (starling hackle is very delicate and it is easy to accidentally break of the hackle tip when removing the pliers).
- Whip finish and add a drop of clear nail polish to finish the head of the fly.

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Re: Peacock and Starling (Glanros / Henwing Style)

Post by Variant » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:21 pm

Well done Ray !
Nice combination of materials.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:24 pm

Simple and simply beautiful little flies.

I love the vise your using Ray. It's my dream vise and I plan on buying one when I win the lotto. :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:43 pm

Thanks guys. These will make a nice addition to my spring trout box. The wing gives the pattern a crippled look.

Yup. It's a very nice vise. Hurry up and win that lottery! ;) :D

Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:49 pm

Really nice, Ray. So, if the wing lays flat it's a hen wing and if it's on edge it's Glanhros? Brilliant dressing. Peacock and starling are two favorite materials. Every time I see that vise, I smile.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:35 pm

Ron - Me too. :D ;)

I found starling to be much more delicate than hen hackle. If I tried to muscle it around I would inadvertently break it off. Hen hackle is stronger, so it is a little more forgiving. Starling feathers have such delicate stems, they require a light touch. I had to switch to my lightest hackle pliers.

In the end, the hackle tip sometimes sat henwing style. The rest ended up Glanros style. Same fly really.

Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:37 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:35 pm Ron - Me too. :D ;)

I found starling to be much more delicate than hen hackle. If I tried to muscle it around I would inadvertently break it off. Hen hackle is stronger, so it is a little more forgiving. Starling feathers have such delicate stems, they require a light touch. I had to switch to my lightest hackle pliers.

In the end, the hackle tip sometimes sat henwing style. The rest ended up Glanros style. Same fly really.
Starling is delicate, that's why I use the C&F hackle pliers on it. Despite it's delicate nature, I love using it and always have 5 or 6 starling skins around.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:44 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:24 pm Simple and simply beautiful little flies.

I love the vise your using Ray. It's my dream vise and I plan on buying one when I win the lotto. :D
I've got a friend down in Machias who has one; he doesn't like it, or use it. He won't get rid of it either. He's a pretty big guy, enough so I don't want to try and take him one on one. I'm thinking if you and I gang up on him, we could get it away from him. I just bought the new 'Hook Jaw' from Regal, so the TRV is all yours.

You bring the beer, I'll bring the band-aids. I mean, you gotta' bleed a little for your passions, right?
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:56 am

Mike62 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:44 pm
Fishnkilts wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:24 pm Simple and simply beautiful little flies.

I've got a friend down in Machias who has one; he doesn't like it, or use it. He won't get rid of it either. He's a pretty big guy, enough so I don't want to try and take him one on one. I'm thinking if you and I gang up on him, we could get it away from him. I just bought the new 'Hook Jaw' from Regal, so the TRV is all yours.

You bring the beer, I'll bring the band-aids. I mean, you gotta' bleed a little for your passions, right?
I'm a 260 pound former power lifter with a 145 pound Serbian Rottweiler named Thor for good reason. Between the three of us we can give your friend a reasonably hard time. And if we fail, we still have the beer and a lotto ticket.
:lol:
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:00 pm

That’s a nicely done pattern, Ray - excellent hook choice as well.
Could we get a closeup of the finished product please??
Soft and wet - the only way....