Heritage Hare & Grouse (Tutorial / SBS)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

whisperer

Re: Heritage Hare & Grouse

Post by whisperer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Ray,
I really like this fly. Is there a reason why half the body is tinsel? It looks as though it would imitate a real insect, yet the tinsel use seems as it would make it more of an attractor pattern. How do you look at it?

Thanks,
Ernie
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Ernie - It is funny you should ask about the proportions of this fly. I had initially set out to design a fly to be named "Bite My Shiny Metal Ass" (Futurama reference - a phrase often used by the robot character named Bender). Anyway, I wanted a pattern with a prominent metal tag (i.e. - the ass part). I tyed a couple different versions and settled on the proportions shown in the fly shown on the first page of this thread. The finished fly is roughly half tinsel tag and half dubbed body. These were the just the proportions that made me happy.

One of the things I like about the pattern, is how the dubbing will fall back over the tinsel tag, once the fly is fished. I think the tinsel will reflect the light back through the dubbing, creating the illusion of translucence.

Once I looked at the finished fly, I changed the name. What started out as a humorously-named fly, ended up having a "vintage" look to it. Thus the new name became "Heritage Hare & Grouse".

PS - I'd still like to design a pattern called "Bite My Shiny Metal Ass". Imagine the look on their face, when I answer the guy who asks "What did you catch that fish on?"...
Last edited by letumgo on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
whisperer

Post by whisperer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Interesting, Ray!
I once talked with Mark Libertone about his Little Dorothy. I found his fly site some time back and he suggested I come here to find out more. Anyway, he said he tied the Dorothy so the dubbed thorax kinda went back over the rear end of the fly to kind of veil it some as well. I guess this is something to think about, and maybe use more often. I think it is a good idea to try.

Ernie
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks Ernie. Interesting comment. If it's good enough for Mark, it's good enough for me. I know exactly which pattern your talking about.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:50 am

Okay, Ray. I've been trying to find something about this fly I don't like. Finally just gave up. Can't find anything. If you don't mind, those copies that will grace my fly box will go by the name "Bite My Shiny Metal Ass". That's just too good to pass up for the very reason you mentioned. "Whatcha tying?" "Bite My Shiny....

Thanks for another beautiful fly and a good chuckle.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:03 am

ROTFLMAO w/Ray........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:25 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:Okay, Ray. I've been trying to find something about this fly I don't like. Finally just gave up. Can't find anything. If you don't mind, those copies that will grace my fly box will go by the name "Bite My Shiny Metal Ass". That's just too good to pass up for the very reason you mentioned. "Whatcha tying?" "Bite My Shiny....

Thanks for another beautiful fly and a good chuckle.

REE
Ray and Ron I totally agree but I fish a two fly rig most of the time. Think of my answer to "Whatcha got on?" "Usual and Bite My shiny...." :D might even tie a pink variation. ;)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:37 am

Roadkill, Howdy;

:lol: :lol: :lol:
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:32 am

letumgo wrote: "Bite My Shiny Metal Ass".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we should have a swap with that for the theme!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:00 am

Vicki, Ray, etc., Cool idea.....i'm down. i found this pattern last night in a book called, the Fly Tiers Manual by, Mike Dawes.......it was in the dry fly chapter/section.
French Partridge Mayfly
Hook: up-eyed 10X Long
Thread: Black or brown
Tail: Bunch of cock-pheasent center-tail fibers
Body: Natural raffia
Ribbing: Black silk, red silk, or gold wire
Hackle: Inner natual red cock. Outter French Partridge (optional palmered with olive cock)
Head: Black or brown

Realy a cool fly.....more or less a flymph.....i guess.....but not in the traditional sense probably.....i dunno. i DO know it looks Cool. :D The version in the pic, has the palmered hackle and the gold wire rib. The palmered hackle is wound from front to rear, and then the wire is wraped thru (from rear to front) to reinforce it. Looks as if the palmered hackle would have to of been tyed in by the butt, as the hackle gets shorter as it goes rearward. It says to tye the Chucker in by the tip. Doesn't say one way or the other bout the inside collar hackle.....tip as well i'm sure. You get the swap goin'.....i'll do this fly, with a shinny ass. i have plenty of raffia. i don't know if i have a 10X long upturned eye dry fly hook though.......and if i do.....the swap would have to be limited to 2 people. :lol: OH! btw.....keep the swap to 8 or less if you don't mind.....or i'll have to pass. i may not live long enough to finish tyin' all the flies that i should finish as it is. :roll:
lmao.....me beggin for hooks..... :lol: anybody know where i can find 10X long up eyed dry fly hooks??????????????
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com