Handy Little Tool (home made dubbing brush twister)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Handy Little Tool (home made dubbing brush twister)

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Bill - Ya spent all your money on tying supplies again, didn't ya? (humor)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Doug wanted to know how I formed this little tool, so here are some photos showing how I made mine.

First clip a piece of piano wire, and then smooth both ends by rubbing in on fine emory paper. In this case I used 600 grit sand paper.

Next take a pair of jewelry pliers and bend the wire around the smallest part of the round projections.

Then I use a pair of needle nose pliers with the grooves on the inside of the jaws. I place the wire bend into the grooves and further compress the bend. The wire should rest parallel with the grooves.

As the bend compressed, the end of the wire will naturally twist off to one side. That is okay, and is a good sign that the bend has been fully compressed.

You want to make sure the bend is fully compressed, like this.

You can then grasp the bend and then take the tag end and bend it back along the main piece of wire.

In the end, you should get something like this. A simple tool for making twisted dubbing brushes.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Ray,
This is fantastic! It's is so simple even a caveman like me could do this! Like so much in our craft, having the right tools is a must and I esp. like the jewelry pliars! I don't own a set of those but i will very soon!
Thanks for posting the pictures because they are worth a thousand words! When I can see this process in action like you have done so well here, it makes it very easy to accomplish!
What a very talented bunch we have here on the forum!
Dougsden!
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.