Simple Way To Create Consistent Silk Cores for Dubbing Brush

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Simple Way To Create Consistent Silk Cores for Dubbing Brush

Post by tie2fish » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:52 am

Inspired thinking!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:30 pm

William Anderson wrote:Jeff, this is one of the coolest innovations I've seen for such a simple tool. Beautiful job. I need a way to cut uniform lengths of small wire while you're in research and development mode. Great post.

w
William, you have the woodworking skills and tools (not to mention the tidy workshop :evil: :mrgreen: :P ) to create something along the same lines yourself. Why not make up just the "gauge" stick at the side of my block as a separate tool- specifically for the wire length you require? It doesn't take much math to calculate the length the finished item needs to be and you could make on to compliment or contrast your existing Maple blocks..... assuming you need to cut wire to specific lengths for wire cored spun bodies?

Thanks to all for the positive comments, just an hours messings in the workshop when I possibly should have been doing something more productive. :oops:
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:
Ah, the fluro orange thread...... it is not even Uni as the spool indicates, I just wound it off a bulk spool onto an empty Uni spool to fit bobbin holders. Its use was only for contrasting ability and thickness so it stood out well in the photos for demonstration purposes ;) .
I didn't mean the thread but the plastic spools Pearsall's (Langley) are using nowadays. Sounds like you have nice friends.Since you sparked my interest I read this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacrycarpus_dacrydioides
Every day you learn something new...

dd
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:
William Anderson wrote:Jeff, this is one of the coolest innovations I've seen for such a simple tool. Beautiful job. I need a way to cut uniform lengths of small wire while you're in research and development mode. Great post.

w
William, you have the woodworking skills and tools (not to mention the tidy workshop :evil: :mrgreen: :P ) to create something along the same lines yourself. Why not make up just the "gauge" stick at the side of my block as a separate tool- specifically for the wire length you require? It doesn't take much math to calculate the length the finished item needs to be and you could make on to compliment or contrast your existing Maple blocks..... assuming you need to cut wire to specific lengths for wire cored spun bodies?

Thanks to all for the positive comments, just an hours messings in the workshop when I possibly should have been doing something more productive. :oops:

Yes, but cutting the dozen wraps of wire would require something more than scissors. More innovation is needed.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Something more than fly tying scissors- agreed...... but there are lots of workshop designed scissors out there that will handle cutting several layers of fly tying grade wire in one snip. I would suggest a dedicated set of wire cutting scissors specifically for this purpose or your going to trash a pair of Dr Slicks pretty damn quick! :(
Another option is a pair of fine bladed tin snips (sorry to any sheetmetal workers out there as cutting wire with tin snips is like swearing in church), again, reserved for this application only.

Or do I have to design and build some kind of cutter/anvil included wire gauge for you? :lol: ...... give me a day or two.......
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:50 pm

Mataura mayfly, Howdy;

Jeff perhaps a simple backing of plate steel and the judicious use of a hammer and
sharp chisel for cutting the bulky wire bundle... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin