Bill's Stonefly Flymph Tutorial (SBS Photos)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Bill's Stonefly Flymph Tutorial (SBS Photos)

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Bill asked me to help him post a series of photos that he took, showing his Stonefly Flymph pattern. The tying sequence, photos and pattern are all Bill's doing. I am simply helping post the photos in the order of the tying sequence.

The materials and recipe are as follows, along with a few comments on their application:

Bill Shuck's Stonefly Flymph
Hook: Daiichi 1260, Size #14
Thread: Sheer 14/0, amber
Weight: 5-7 wraps of .015" wire (lead-free if available)
Tail: Turkey biots, dyed sulphur orange
Ribbing: Antiqued gold wire (at rear) and single strand of brown embroidery floss (thorax)
Dubbing: Blend of wool yarn fibers, very sparsely twist dubbed onto tying thread. Dub from tail to eye and back to rear of thorax. Twist brown thread strand tight and palmer back to tail; trap thread with first forward wrap of wire rib and then continue palmering wire up to thorax and tie off. Remove excess ribbing.
Hackles: Tie in single Golden plover feather at rear of thorax, make one wrap and tie off. Then tie in single strand of grey ostrich herl directly in front of feather hackle, make one wrap and tie off. Spiral thread forward and repeat hackling process at front of thorax area.
Head: Build slightly tapered head using thread wraps, whip finish, and add a drop of head cement if you are so inclined.

Photos of the tying sequence:
Ribbing: Antiqued gold wire (at rear) and single strand of brown embroidery floss (thorax)

Dubbing: Blend of wool yarn fibers, very sparsely twist dubbed onto tying thread. Dub from tail to eye and back to rear of thorax. Twist brown thread strand tight and palmer back to tail; trap thread with first forward wrap of wire rib and then continue palmering wire up to thorax and tie off. Remove excess ribbing.

Hackles: Tie in single Golden plover feather at rear of thorax, make one wrap and tie off. Then tie in single strand of grey ostrich herl directly in front of feather hackle, make one wrap and tie off. Spiral thread forward and repeat hackling process at front of thorax area.

Head: Build slightly tapered head using thread wraps, whip finish, and add a drop of head cement if you are so inclined.

Bill - Beautifully done...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Re: Bill's Stonefly Flymph Tutorial (SBS Photos)

Post by DUBBN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Great teamwork you two! Very informative.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Kudos, gents. Brilliant to see a Shuck sbs. Wonderful construction.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tjd

Post by tjd » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:41 am

Bill and Ray,

Very nicely done!

That looks like a killing fly...

Best,

Tim
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:10 am

Thank you Bill and Ray, inspiring to tie some for Roscoe and a darker one or two for Germany.

What is the brown/yellow rib, it is not the same as in your first post as far as I can see??

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:50 am

Thank you so much, Ray, for helping me with the mysteries of posting photos in sequence. As for the materials, here is the recipe and a comment of two on their application.

Hook: Daiichi 1260, Size #14
Thread: Sheer 14/0, amber
Weight: 5-7 wraps of .015" wire (lead-free if available)
Tail: Turkey biots, dyed sulphur orange
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 am

Ha, placing the ostrich herl over the thread wraps is diabolically clever... :lol: A question: how secure is the plover when wrapped/trapped against the dubbing body? If it holds up, you've opened a world of possibilities it seems.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:38 am

CreationBear wrote:Ha, placing the ostrich herl over the thread wraps is diabolically clever... :lol: A question: how secure is the plover when wrapped/trapped against the dubbing body? If it holds up, you've opened a world of possibilities it seems.
Probably totally impractical. It will no doubt be torn asunder by the first or second 20" brown trout that eats it ;) . Oh, well -- I have more of them.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:01 am

Bill, I am drooling over this fly.
I have heard some people say that it is good to keep tying time for weighted nymphs to a minimum, since they are more prone to being snagged and lost on the bottom than are flies that swim closer to the surface. How do you feel about that in general? How does the tying time on this stonefly flymph compare to a Sawyer Pheasant Tail, for example?

Lance
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 am

Lance ~ I have tied only a half dozen or so Sawyer PTs in my life, but based on its ease of construction, I think it would take a practiced hand less than 1/20th of the time it takes me to tie this fly. Fortunately for me, I have lots of time on my hands and no plans to tie these commercially. As was pointed out in my response to Jon's post, this design is no doubt highly impractical. I am hoping, however, that it will attract a fish or two.