Teak Wading Staff (DIY Project)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Teak Wading Staff (DIY Project)

Post by letumgo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Ron - I really like your handle. The extra open spiral looks classy. I’ve made several more of these, which I’ve given away to family and friends. Mine is still holding up well.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:33 pm

Really nice, Ray. Our friends, Jim and Deanna Birkholm. the original owners/publishers of Fly Anglers On Line, watched Vickie and I wading in Idaho on some sketchy areas of the Lochsa River. They suggested rather strongly that we get wading staffs as they wanted to keep us around. We bought Folstaffs and have been using them since. Yours is better looking, but I like the idea that mine folds up into a nice tidy package.

Parachute suspension line is called 550 cord is called that because each suspension line (outer sheath and inner cords combines) has a tensile strength of 550 pounds. A paratrooper is connected to his canopy by 30 suspension lines between his harness connectors and the parachute canopy (on the T-10 Main Parachute). Amazing what you can recall after over over 30 years since your last jump.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:31 am

Ron and Hank - You bring up a good point about the 550 cord. The cord adds another useful survival component to this wading staff, which I had not given much thought. I was recently reading an article about a fisherman out west, who had gone missing for many days but was eventually found and rescued after surviving several days in the woods. The 550 cord would be useful in a situation like that.

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:05 am

Howdy All;

Just in case anyone is interested in building one here are some other variations
just so they don't get mixed up during lunch :roll: :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=handle+ ... afe=active

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:29 am

Thanks Hank. ;)

ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:03 am

Hank.. I have to admit I like the look of the spiral wrap, but in truth it's not as comfortable as a plain wrap. Yes, it provides some grip and for occasional holding while wading, it's fine. But, I wouldn't use it on a hiking pole. I went for the fast and easy wrap when I chose this style.

Having used this stick for about a year, I will never buy one of those folding jobs again. At 6'4" and about 215# I need a sturdy crutch out there and grace was never my middle name. Can't wade without it.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:07 am

ronr, Howdy;

No one said ya "had to". A phrase I completely detest. chuckle

I was just showing that there are variations that others may wish to
experiment with if they would like to. Or, they can place a Turk's Head
Knot (aka the Boy Scout woggle), or 2 or 3 along the length to prevent
a damp hand from sliding off. all dependent upon the user's design and
skill levels. Also, the use of a thicker or thinner cord can change the
"feel" of the staff.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:33 pm Really nice, Ray. Our friends, Jim and Deanna Birkholm. the original owners/publishers of Fly Anglers On Line, watched Vickie and I wading in Idaho on some sketchy areas of the Lochsa River. They suggested rather strongly that we get wading staffs as they wanted to keep us around. We bought Folstaffs and have been using them since. Yours is better looking, but I like the idea that mine folds up into a nice tidy package.

Parachute suspension line is called 550 cord is called that because each suspension line (outer sheath and inner cords combines) has a tensile strength of 550 pounds. A paratrooper is connected to his canopy by 30 suspension lines between his harness connectors and the parachute canopy (on the T-10 Main Parachute). Amazing what you can recall after over over 30 years since your last jump.
REE - You’re dating yourself using that T-10 nomenclature! My last rope jump was August ‘82, an MC-1B. I believe that model switched over to using what they called 400 cord – the only reason I know that is because one of my good friends worked in the rigger shed…..I STILL have 550 & 400 cord from him. Me personally I never got a big thrill out of rope jumping or freefall. too much time for not enough thrill ………A couple of guys in my unit did go on to the golden knights though…

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 am

Hey, Dana,

I got a bunch of -1B jumps in as well. Retired in 1988. When the -1's first hit the 82d someone decided that every paratroopers should have a steerable. The very next mass tac (battalion size jump) every swinging Richard had a steerable. Talk about a cluster f***. We had so many entanglements, mid-air collisions, etc. People were so excited to have something they could steer, they forgot about watching out for other jumpers. After that only key personnel (officers) and jumpmasters had the -1s. Much safer in the air.

Took a look at Bragg on Google Maps. My how it has changed. I'd have a hard time recognizing any of the DZ's now.

When I went to Jumpmaster school in November of 1975, everything was still 550 cord.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:36 pm

I had my first good face drag at Ft. Bragg, on St. Mere Eglise during SFQC…..We jumped in a strong wind with FULL rucks and weapons, resulting in a “toe to face” plant for me. Capewells were full of sand so I couldn’t release the canopy. Thank God I was in my early 20s…. :shock:
Soft and wet - the only way....