Shuck wax and pre-dubbed bodies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Shuck wax and pre-dubbed bodies

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:10 pm

wsbailey wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm I'm sorry I said anything about it at all.
Same goes for me. I'll not quibble in the future.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:44 pm

There is no mention of Wonder Wax. I use others, but for touch dubbing and using the block for flymphs it works great.
Which reminds me that I need a new dubbing block! A really nice one please Bill.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:44 pm

Bazzer69 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:44 pm There is no mention of Wonder Wax. I use others, but for touch dubbing and using the block for flymphs it works great.
Which reminds me that I need a new dubbing block! A really nice one please Bill.
Barry
I've used both the original Overton's and 722 winter wax. There's no comparison.

Bill Shuck - wife is taking off on a trip later today. I will try the plastic baggie and a dash of water and report. Hopefully I'm not scraping down the inside of the microwave.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:00 pm

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill (zen) - Please report back after the experiment. At least that way we know you survived. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Wife has left and it wasn't and the results weren't an issue. I wouldn't put water in the baggie as none of the ingredients are water soluble..... I'd do a couple drops of a neutral oil of some sorts.

Anyways I used water and it didn't serve any purpose, but 15 seconds in the microwave at full power did soften up the wax. I was a tad leery of going further. I went in 5 second increments and checked the results in between.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm

zen leecher wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm If my 722 can't be brought back to life I guess I need some more. Great Feathers does not have any for sale. They seem to have less and less products for sale based on the size of their website about 5 years ago.
Several different tying waxes, including 6-2-1, 7-2-1, and 7-2-2 formulas, are available from Gunpowder Custom Tackle (https://www.gunpowdercustomtackle.com/). I'm not a wax expert, but both their 7-2-1 and 7-2-2 waxes seem excellent. I probably like 7-2-2 wax the best. The proprietor of Gunpowder Custom Tackle appears to be a soft-hackle devotee, and the store offers several interesting items for traditional fly tying.

Phil
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:53 pm

PhilA wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm
zen leecher wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm If my 722 can't be brought back to life I guess I need some more. Great Feathers does not have any for sale. They seem to have less and less products for sale based on the size of their website about 5 years ago.
Several different tying waxes, including 6-2-1, 7-2-1, and 7-2-2 formulas, are available from Gunpowder Custom Tackle (https://www.gunpowdercustomtackle.com/). I'm not a wax expert, but both their 7-2-1 and 7-2-2 waxes seem excellent. I probably like 7-2-2 wax the best. The proprietor of Gunpowder Custom Tackle appears to be a soft-hackle devotee, and the store offers several interesting items for traditional fly tying.

Phil
This must be why Great Feathers doesn't have much in the line of soft hackles any longer. This guy must have split off from them and went west.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:41 pm

The English company Veniards used to market these waxes. I have a cake of their 7-2-2 that I got at Great Feathers a few years ago. It is a very nice winter wax, however it no longer appears on their website.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:43 am

I confess my faulty memory led me to write that the 721 is 70% beeswax when it should be 70% rosin. Sorry for any confusion.

Bill