leisenring lift

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

swellcat

Re: leisenring lift

Post by swellcat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 pm

If I did it I too would have to use the mute feature, there are times I could shock a Navy Vet..... :oops:
Strongly doubt that ... ;) , :lol:
First, the Navy vet would have to understand him. (A drunken Scot and a sober Kiwi are two of the most inscrutable accents in the English language . . . at least to these slow, Southern ears. Fun tryin' to figure it out, though . . . while drinking with guys from the Shetland Islands as they rail against "the bloody English".)

_____
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Hank before the thought gets away from me again I want to thank you for sharing the excerpts from the writings of JL and Pete as well. There continues to be some interesting input to the Leisenring Lift thread and as was mentioned we still have to be able to put what was written into our arsenal of tactics. I have no doubt that the "Lift" works. Unfortunately I'll have to put my efforts with it on hold until spring. :(

Regards, Jerry
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm

jerry, Howdy;

In boot camp I was the translator for the Cajun, the kids from Chincoteague Island, Va.
and a Down Easter or 2 from Maine, as well as a few from other parts of the country.
:lol: , :lol: , :lol: .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Just to straighten things out- and not hijack the thread too far.... I do NOT have an accent, it is just that everyone else in the World talks funny.

I must admit, I am not a great proponent of the upstream lift- which I am guessing is the true "Leisenring" method? I do use it- but not as often as purposely measuring out a cast length- cast across and swung down to arrive at a set place in the stream (where I either think a trout to be holding- or know he is), when the flies are a few feet from the target area I stop following with the rod tip and let the current straighten and lift the fly/flies in front of the stationed trout.
I always considered this still a Leisenring lift- but perhaps being swung downstream and without rod lift...... it is not?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am

letumgo wrote:Sounds like a good video project for the future. Let's go fishing!!! :D
Let's go. We can take steelies on an emerging hares ear and Partridge on the lift.

This actually does sound like an interesting film project. Some of the wet fly videos are very interesting for comparing methods. Something to think about.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am

More on the "Deadly Curve" from our past posts...
http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5533
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 am

Well I AM a Navy vet. I doubt seriously if you would shock me with cursing. I have literally heard it all. ;)
hankaye wrote:
Mataura mayfly wrote: If I did it I too would have to use the mute feature, there are times I could shock a Navy Vet..... :oops:
Strongly doubt that ... ;) , :lol:

hank
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:10 am

Howdy All;

I've gone and re-read the passages that I've quoted and like a lot of folks,
there is more room for interpretation than is necessary in my opinion ...
What I mean is,... what if we break it down.

* JL starts out by saying this; "Now, if I want to catch a trout, first I must know where
there are some to catch, If I want to catch a big trout I must first locate a big one or
be content with smaller ones " ... I interpret that to reading the water or seeking local
knowledge or experienced based best guess. ... y/n

* JL then says, " However, assuming that I have found my big trout," ... sighted or most
promising location to hold a big trout based upon his experience? ... y/n

* JL made the majority of his flies without weight being added. So, if he could feel the
bumpety- bump, then it most likely would have been shallow water ? ... y/n

* JL states that " I cast my fly up and across about fifteen feet or more above where the
big trout is located, depending on the pool and stream." ... Most likely a sighted fish ? y/n

Here is the part of the bumpety-bump ...

* Jl then says "Now I watch the fly. It is almost to him, and would only have to travel about
four more feet to pass right by his nose without his looking at it unless it can be made to
appear alive and escaping." ... Again, a sighted fish or best guess? y/n

I can see how we can tend to try to pry more information form this nifty piece of literature,
but the main thing to remember is that it was said by PH in the forward to the 1941 Edition;

" ... in addition to his extraordinary skills as an angler and flytier, this man possesses all of the
those valuable personal qualities which come to humble men ..."

Personal opinion, I don't feel that JL was being vague with his instruction to the Lift method...
it just isn't as complicated as we try to make it to be, rather it's a simple set of actions to either
a sighted fish or utilized to a location that, based upon the fisher's experience, is a highly likely
location for a trout to lie awaiting his next morsel.
Again, these are my thoughts on the matter, ... your mileage may vary. ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Well stated Hank!

I feel this isn't a mystery to most experienced nymph flyfishers. Another way to look at it is the "Induced Take" ...http://www.goflyfishinguk.com/blog/2013 ... ed-take-2/
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:08 am

Quote from induced takes:

So on that basis can we practice an induced take, yes we can and it actually happens every cast we make! At the end of every cast we lift off into another cast, ask yourself how often have you hooked a fish when going into another cast both on rivers and still waters?, basically the same thing is happening you are inducing fish as you lift off, the same occurs on still waters, fishing on the “hang” and lifting is a perfect example.

If I fish for Roach with two weighed nymphs in still water I make a slow lift on the end of the retrieve and then I hook many fish but especially Yellow Perch. Is this a Leisenring lift, a induced take or just a slow lift on the end of the retrieve: a SLER (slow lift end retrieve)

greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl