Jim Slattery Demonstrating Leisenring Dubbing Technique

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Jim Slattery Demonstrating Leisenring Dubbing Technique

Post by letumgo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Here is a link to a new YouTube video I uploaded today. I shot this video footage of Jim Slattery, demonstrating the process of forming a dubbed silk body for a flymph. Jim did his demonstration while we were at his place, during the Flymph Forum gathering earlier this summer. Jim is forming the dubbed body on his pants leg, just like Jim Leisenring used to do it.

Pause the video at different points to read about the detailed tying steps.

Bravo Jim! Sorry it has taken me this long to process the video. The file was HUGE, so it has taken me a while to get it uploaded and then to add the annotations. I've never done this before, so there was quite a bit of learning involved.

Enjoy...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Jim Slattery Demonstrating Leisenring Dubbing Technique

Post by William Anderson » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Another treasure of a resource and a fun reminder of that night getting to tie with Jim and the gang at the cafe. Thank you for putting this up. Nicely done.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Jim,
Excellent video clip! How in the world can you tie without a bobbin? You are demonstrating the old way of tying and I find that fascinating and great to watch! It was good to see you again Jim "in person". Who was that character in the background towards the end of the sequence?
Top notch Ray as always!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 pm

Do you guys see pop-up text while watching the video? I annotated the video, but it does not seem to be working unless I am logged into my YouTube account. I intended to have the annotations visible to everyone. Please let me know if they are appearing correctly.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:24 am

Pop up's work fine down here in the deep South.
Well done to all involved.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:20 am

Mataura mayfly wrote:Pop up's work fine down here in the deep South.
Well done to all involved.
For me too, I think it is Bill in the background.

greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:01 am

Great job, Ray. The pop-up text and the musical soundtrack perfectly compliment your fine camera work.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Ray,
This makes it look so simple—both spinning the body on the knee, and making a video.
Great work, and invaluable to now have this video out there on YouTube.
Lance
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:25 am

Nice to watch Jim tie again. Very well done video, Ray.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Just saw this. I have to thank you Ray for putting this together.
Unfortunately this technique is not the true Leisenring method. It is a technique, as best I can now recollect, that was shown to me when I first started seriously tying as a sophomore in high school 40 years ago by Roger George, the teacher who oversaw the school Fly Fishing club. As I got older and really studied the AoTWF, and in this case specifically the spun body, I reached in the back crevices of my memory of how I was shown this method and put it up to how I understood what was written in the Art of Tying the Wet Fly. This is the result.
After reading Leisenrings hand written manuscript about this technique I found the method I use to be erroneous. In the manuscript, Leisenring writes that you keep the thumb and index finger in place and you roll the thread at the top of the knee above the index finger 3 or 4 times and then lift the index finger while holding the spun thread taught. The results are same as the dubbing block.
The results of the "modified Leisenring dubbing loop" are a bit different as the dubbing is somewhat compressed by the application of friction as you roll the loop on the pant leg. It tends to form a hollow cylindrical loop yet retains some of the spikiness that can be found in the regular method. When wet and in light you can really see a "glow" as the light bounces off of the dubbing fibers and the under color of the thread. The modified method also uses a little less dubbing than the regular method as the modified technique tends to add "volume" to the dubbing being used.
Jim