William Anderson Demonstrating Clark Dubbing Block Technique

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Theroe

Re: William Anderson Demonstrating Clark Dubbing Block Technique

Post by Theroe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:02 am

Mike62 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:27 pm Turns out making the blocks is the easy part.

Question: After I get the body spun up and slip it onto a card like William does, I still have an issue with the body wanting to unravel while on the card. (try a thicker card perhaps?)

Problem #2. The thread is waxed thoroughly, twisted up, and let sit to 'cure' per Mr. Leisenring's advice but it doesn't want to behave when I remove it from the card. What am I missing here? How do you folks keep the spun body from unraveling as you're trying to tie it to the hook shank?

After watching the video of William twisting his thread I can honestly say that I'm definitely not over twisting it.

Old dogs want to learn new tricks, it's just that some of us dogs are a little slower than others. Any advice is appreciated.
Mike
Step one: for the ones you have spun on cards already, put them in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to using them and it will hold them stiff
Step two: Buy some of Bill Bailey‘s wax - he really makes a nice product.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Old Hat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:39 am You will be on a roll in no time Mike. The wax is the key here. Also, just for future reference, the process doesn't work near as well with any threads other than silk. You will get some of the same issues. It is a sum of all parts.
I've been practicing with regular thread; my adventures into grand experimental tying do not include using Pearsalls as cannon fodder! But, if it'll make a difference, I do have a bazillion spools of old silks left over from my grandmothers day. Richardson's and half a dozen other brands. They're a slightly larger diameter than the Pearsalls and I won't feel the pangs of guilt when I screw one up.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Theroe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:02 am
Mike62 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:27 pm Turns out making the blocks is the easy part.

Question: After I get the body spun up and slip it onto a card like William does, I still have an issue with the body wanting to unravel while on the card. (try a thicker card perhaps?)

Problem #2. The thread is waxed thoroughly, twisted up, and let sit to 'cure' per Mr. Leisenring's advice but it doesn't want to behave when I remove it from the card. What am I missing here? How do you folks keep the spun body from unraveling as you're trying to tie it to the hook shank?

After watching the video of William twisting his thread I can honestly say that I'm definitely not over twisting it.

Old dogs want to learn new tricks, it's just that some of us dogs are a little slower than others. Any advice is appreciated.
Mike
Step one: for the ones you have spun on cards already, put them in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to using them and it will hold them stiff
Dana
Yup! I ordered some Bailey's wax yesterday. Thank you for the tip about the freezer, I never would have thought of that.

...I ever mention I love this place? Thanks, guys.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:27 am

Mike62 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:07 pm
Theroe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:02 am

Mike
Dana
Yup! I ordered some Bailey's wax yesterday. Thank you for the tip about the freezer, I never would have thought of that.

...I ever mention I love this place? Thanks, guys.
Mike.......I had the same problem :o .......it really is a "trick" to get just the right mix, which is one of the reasons Bills wax is so good("both" Bills; Bailey and Shuck - one you can buy, the other is a "treasured trade procurement") . Personally, I do not mind if they unwind a bit: I re-twist as I wind to achieve a uniform silhouette. Once the flymph body is wet, the thread wraps REALLY show through the dubbing.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:17 pm

William,
I was prowling around our forum and revisited this thread! Wow! I am impressed and really like the technique you have for teasing out just the right amount of fur (great control in that respect) with your tweezers! It allows for exact placement of just the right amount of fur to achieve the perfect taper! When you spun the thread and allowed it to release from the back slot in the block, the magic happened! The wax does it's job and BAM, perfect pre-spun flymph body! Your control and technique were (and still are I'm sure) awesome and have not deminished since 2014! By the way, your spinning blocks are to die for! So beautiful!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.