Tying the Inner Light Spotted Sedge Emerger

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

Re: Tying the Inner Light Spotted Sedge Emerger

Post by UC Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm

daringduffer wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:24 am When you visit Troutnut, the pinkish shroud in this pattern makes a lot of sense:

( Don't know if I just should have posted the link): http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/726

dd
DD, very cool. Thanks for digging that out. The one on troutnut is the Eastern version, slightly different than ours. To my eye, the wings are identical, however the grayish abdomen is quite different. The Western Spotted Sedge, famously, exhibits a range of abdomen colorations, including cream through various shades of tan, to brown, & also pinkish, & with many individuals sporting olive coloration on the abdomen. Thorax & legs of the emerging pupae & newly emerged adults are pinkish-tan. There is an overall pinkish undertone to the appendages, as exhibited in the Eastern species. When wet, the shroud mellows & blends quite a bit, providing the undertone & displaying subtle color winking through the hackle. If I was going to tie some for the Delaware, I'd go the same way except, I think, I'd be tempted to go with a grayish tone midge flash for the abdomen, lighter than the adult exhibits -- but then, I'm not sure about the emerger abdomen coloration of the Eastern species. Bill Shuck, & you guys who fish the Delaware, take note.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:26 pm

tie2fish wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 am Great job, Steve! Following that, even a cave man could do it ;) :lol: .
Bill, presented by a cave man, for the edification of other cave men.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Like me... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:24 pm Like me... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
"When are you going to come out of your cave?" ~My Wife
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Thanks Steve.. I've been trying to figure out the Shrimp dub shroud and couldn't get it right... now I can!
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:51 pm

That was fantastic, thank you. We get a lot of cinnamon caddis up here and I'm thinking perhaps I can swap out a strand or two of the pearl flash for root beer and give it a go.