Emma Variant (Gunnar Johnson Flympher Pattern)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Emma Variant (Gunnar Johnson Flympher Pattern)

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Emma Variant
Hook - Daiichi Model 1710 Down Eye Wet Fly Hook (Size 14)
Thread - Pearsall's Gossamer Silk (Light Gray) / Waxed with Shuck Wax
Hackle - Grizzly Hen "Knee" Hackle (*)
Spun Body - Hare's Pole spun on Brown Pearsall's Silk

(*) special note - I have no idea why these hen hackles were labeled "Knee" hackle. Perhaps they come from the thigh region of a chicken. I bought these from a discount bin, at the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum, during the February 2019 Fly Fest event. Dana pointed them out, and I bought several small bags of these feathers. After tying with them, I really happy with these feathers. (Thanks Dana!)

PROCESS OF CREATING THE SPUN BODIES
Close up view of the hare's poll dubbing, after blending in a coffee grinder (pulse...pulse...pulse)

PROCESS OF TYING THE FLIES

TYING INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Mount a hook in the vise
2) Wax several inches of you silk tying thread, and attach it to the hook with five firm wraps. Trim off the tag end.
3) Prepare a hen hackle, by stripping off the base fluff. Tie the feather onto the hook, by it's center stem. Leave the feather hanging out over the eye of the hook.
4) Wrap the thread back to the middle of the hook shank.
5) Tie on a spun body (dubbed silk body/Leisenring style). Continue wrapping backwards to the barb of the hook, then wrap the tying silk forward towards the eye of the hook. Stop roughly 1/16" behind where the hackle stem awaits.
6) Wrap the spun body forward to the waiting tying silk. Secure with a couple wraps of the tying silk. Clip off the excess.
7) Clip the tip of the hackle stem, and separate the fibers along each side. Fold the hackle fibers to one side, then wrap back towards the body. Secure the hackle with a couple wraps, and clip off the hackle tip.
8) Whip finish, forming a neat head.
9) Clip off the tying silk.
10) Brush out the body and hackle, with a small piece of velcro.

"Knee Hackle"

This pattern certainly looks deadly. It reminds me of a brown version of the classic Adams pattern.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Re: Emma Variant (Gunnar Johnson Flympher Pattern)

Post by hankaye » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Ray, Howdy;

As usual, outstanding SBS and pix to go along with it.

Those in the swap will enjoy your flies I'm sure.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Ray - What an outstanding step-by-step you have put together! I am very happy that you purchased some of those feathers-those were from Doc Fried’s original birds. He was very generous and would give away all sorts of Harco and feathers to the younger generations that were interested. Dave Brandt and Catskilljohn Can expound more on this then I can...... i’m happy that you want to couple of the other fellows picked up some fly tying history!!
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks Hank. I am looking forward to seeing the full sets of swap flies.

Dana - I was hoping you would chime in with the background on the hackle. Thank you. Do you know why they are called “Knee” hackle. Do these feathers come from the legs (thigh region) of the chickens?

They are beautiful little soft hackle feathers. Very soft and webby, with nice dark barring. I think these would make nice wings on dry flies (gasp).

It is very cool, knowing these hackles are a piece of Catskill history. That adds another special element to this set of swap flies. I love that... :D

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:47 pm

I’m not sure, but it makes sense........Shaner will probably know!
Soft and wet - the only way....
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:06 am

What a wonderful fly that makes, Ray! And your presentation of the process is simply outstanding -- visually appealing and technically informative. You should be doing POV videos, my friend. On the other hand, a collection of SBS efforts like this would make a nice little book, too (hint, hint ;) )
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:13 am

Thank you for the encouragement Bill. Very much appreciated. :D ;)

JDW22

Post by JDW22 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:17 am

A wonderful pictorial presentation and narrative. The hackle is absolutely gorgeous - a perfect choice for this pattern. Like you, I'd be most interested to learn more about the 'knee' moniker. For what it is worth, your obvious skill with camera, light, and composition elevates the quality your SBS posts. Thank you.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 am

Thank you. ;)

The photos were all shot with my iPhone. It makes it very easy to shoot the process, when I reach a hands-free part of the tying process. Uploading the pictures from the phone is easier than uploading them from my “good” camera. I could shoot better pics with a DSLR camera, but it would be more time consuming. The phone/camera is a good balance for these types of tutorials.

Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:57 am

Beautiful pattern. A tutorial even a caveman (me) can follow. A tying station that humbles my scorched earth bench of feathered carnage... Thank you, Ray; your tutorials are a great resource.

Your tutorial reminds me that I have a bag full of smallish grizzly feathers that have been tucked away for years, forgotten until now. And you've given me a reason to take another look at that spool of grey Pearsall's that sits ignored in the corner.