Flies made with material taken from a hares mask & hares feet

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

TZNorway

Flies made with material taken from a hares mask & hares feet

Post by TZNorway » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:32 pm

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” - Douglas Adams
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Flies made with material taken from a hares mask & hares feet

Post by letumgo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 am

Is the first pattern one of Bob Wyatt’s patterns? It looks familiar to me, for some reason.

Looks like a very effective fly, by the way.

Thank you for sharing the videos. Very nice!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
TZNorway

Re: Flies made with material taken from a hares mask & hares feet

Post by TZNorway » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:14 pm

correct.

The hare emerger is also described in Bobs book - "What Trout want". In my tying descriptions I usually reference to his work as he has researched and explained much more in detail why such patterns work so well.

I believe it is a further development from the deer hair emerger, which has drawbacks in terms of visibility and floatability.

I got some seals fur from Bob many years back and use it as wing for there mayfly dun. I then switched to Arctic hare (similar to snowshoe rabbit). Bob also got some of these Norwegian hares feet from me. Its been many years in between and so eventually he replaced the deer hair in his emerger with the fibres from a hares foot. We might have done it rather simultaneously. I wouldn't know. Bob on the other had keeps very good track of such things.

I am a little careful with the term "snowshoe rabbit" as this animal is indeed a hare, and not a rabbit. There is stuff on the market labelled "rabbit", quite correctly though. BUT, rabbit doesn't work nearly as well as Arctic hare. Rabbits are also animals kept in cages, which I am opposed to from a animal welfare point of view.

Bobs books are a really good read and I can highly recommend them.
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” - Douglas Adams