Hairy Carey Tutorial/Pictorial SBS (imitative pattern) - damsel/leech/shrimp/etc.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Hairy Carey Tutorial/Pictorial SBS (imitative pattern) - damsel/leech/shrimp/etc.

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:31 pm

I was playing around with this pattern some more, adding a colored tail using pheasant tail fibers. This is my favorite variation so far.

Hairy Carey (Autumn Variation)
Hook - Daiichi Model 2220 (Size 8)
Underbody - 0.025" Lead-free Wire
Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Camel)
Tail - Seven or Eight Strands of Pheasant Tail Fibers (Red)
Front and Rear Hackle - Ringneck Pheasant Rump Feathers (Olive)
Body - Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift Wool Yarn (Color #998/"Autumn”)

Ron - This is tyed with the yarn you sent me. Thanks buddy, this stuff is beautify. The strands contain a range of colors (olive green, red, orange, yellow and a little blue). The colors harmonize well with the dyed pheasant rump and red pheasant tail fibers. Can't wait to fish this pattern. It just looks so fishy!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Hairy Carey Tutorial/Pictorial SBS (imitative pattern) - damsel/leech/shrimp/etc.

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:48 am

Beautiful pattern, Ray. The tail makes a huge difference in it's appearance. Glad you found a use for the yarn. If you need more just let me know, I still have several hundred yards. More than I'll ever use. Waiting eagerly for the next evolution of this fly. In a way, it reminds me of an Irish Lough Mayfly.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:43 pm

That variation is a nice fly. I like the look of that wool......
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 pm

Got a chance to get out fishing today. I'm happy to report that the Hairy Carey works on steelhead.

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:32 pm

8-) :D Don't forget Dragonfly imitation!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:59 pm

:D ;)

gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 am

This SBS tutorial is so easy to follow, Ray. You keep getting better at this. Beautifully done.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Nice, Ray. Our waters have to come into shape before casting a fly upon the waters.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:55 pm

I know this is really pushing the boundaries of soft hackle patterns, but here is the latest crayfish variant, tyed on micro jig hooks (1/32nd oz). These will be part of my smallmouth arsenal next spring. Can't wait to see how the bass react to this pattern! :twisted:

FLEEING CRAYFISH
Hook - Crappie Magnet Jig Head Hook/Size 6 ( 1/32nd ounce )
Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Rusty Dun)
Feelers/Antena - Six or Seven Strands of Pheasant Tail Fibers (Dyed Red)
Butt - Pheasant Philoplume (renforced in a thread dubbing loop & wrapped as a fluffy chenille)
Rear Hackle - Smaller Size Ring Neck Pheasant Church Window Feather (Natural)
Rear Body - Wool-Ease Dubbing (Walnut/#127)
Middle Hackle - Medium Sized Ring Neck Pheasant Church Window Feather (Natural)
Middle Body - Wool-Ease Dubbing (Walnut/#127)
Front Hackle - Large Sized Ring Neck Pheasant Rump Feather (Natural)
Head (Front Body) - Wool-Ease Dubbing (Walnut/#127)

DESIGN NOTES (FIELD TRIALS MAY RESULT IN PATTERN ALTERATIONS)

- Impressionistic fleeing crayfish imitation, tyed "in-the-round". Weighted to fish deeply. One thirty-second ounce weight is light enough to cast on a fly rod, yet still drop quickly to the bottom after being stripped in.

- The pattern is roughly divided into three equal sections (Rear/Middle/Front), separated by the hackle collar in between each section. The dubbing can be changed out with whatever color wool yarn you want to use. In this case I chopped up some Wool-Ease Chuncky yarn (Walnut) and put it thru my coffee grinder to form a nice mottled brown dubbing blend. Tanish gray would also be a good choice for imitating crayfish.

- The dubbed body is formed with the touch-dub method (heavily waxed thread and loose dubbing pressed onto the thread/wrap back and forth to form a loose body/creates broader profile without adding significant additional weight to the fly). I tried to hide most of the jig head with a dubbed section. I may add some dark marker, to further conceal the lead head.

- I picked this style jig hook because of it's small size and unique shape (angled head helps hook avoid snags and much of the weight is forward of the hook eye, which helps balance the pattern and cause it to swim horizontal.

- The weighted jig head naturally causes the point of the hook to ride upwards (hopefully decreasing tendency to snag on the bottom).

CrappieMagnetJigHeadHook.jpg
CrappieMagnetJigHeadHook.jpg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 2947 times

Here is an even smaller version, tyed on TroutMagnet Jig Head hooks (1/64th Ounce/Size 8).

wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Ray, you really came up with some awesome patterns. If you need some more options, look here:

https://flytyingyarn.com/collections/wool-yarn