Wash Your Hare! (preparing hare mask)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Wash Your Hare! (preparing hare mask)

Post by letumgo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Dana - It took me a second to get your joke, but then burst out laughing. Funny!

Mike - I liked your reference. An odd, but interesting movie. I was thinking more along the lines of "Watership Down" or "Lord of the Flies". There is something strangely creepy about a rabbit mask. They used to creep me out, when I first started tying.

Stefan - I finished drying the mask overnight, to make sure it is bone dry before packing it away. The mask made an interesting addition to my tying desk. Maybe I can display this, during next summer's kids tying event. :o :shock: :? :twisted: May be the last time I get invited... :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, the main reason I washed this mask was to be completely sure that any traces of the picric acid were removed from the skin and fur. I had notices some white (probably acid salts) material on the back of the hide. I just didn't want to accidentally rub that stuff in my eye one day, so I decided it was better to give the mask a good soak and washing/drying before using it. In the end, I am very happy I did. The mask is now in better shape, and easier to work with (shaping the ears and hide has made it easier to get at the areas around the ears and top of the head.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Re: Wash Your Hare! (preparing hare mask)

Post by daringduffer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:46 am

Ray, I always wash my natural tying material. As you say, this makes them easier to work with and also enhances their inherent qualities. Not least important, as you say, it makes them safer to work with. When you see the water afterwards you realize how dirty they were. Not always but often. When I washed the rabbit I bought from the fellow from Northern Ireland last year(?) the water was super clean.

Picric acid isn't something to toy around with.

dd