Micro Fishing Photo Tank - Inexpensive Under Water Photo Set Up

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Re: Micro Fishing Photo Tank - Inexpensive Under Water Photo Set Up

Post by ForumGhillie » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Phil,

Thanks for the reminder. I pulled out my copy of the book. I need to re-read chapters 3, 4, etc.

I will find my test with soft hackle patterns with game bird feathers underwater. There is not much of a difference.

I also have a a short Youtube video doing a trial test with a friend swinging wet flies while I tried to video the flies underwater in the river using my GoPro camera. They go by me really fast. I need a volunteer who knows how to swing wet flies accurately and slowly without drag pulling the flies.

One of the materials that has lots of motion under the water is marabou. It is no wonder marabou patterns are so effective.

My point is there is a vast difference looking at the behavior of your fly underwater then wetting flies and looking at them while holding them in the air.

i am anxious to test my recycled fly pattern in the film, maybe in the Lamar Valley rivers with a eye witness. ;)

John
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:12 am

Now you guys have me thinking, which is usually a dangerous thing. Ray, how about adding a small slow speed, or variable speed electric motor to the setup? The motor has a cam shaped drum on its shaft, placed so that it just touches the line that hangs the fly into the tank. When the motor turns, it vibrates the line, so you can watch the hackles twitch.
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:37 am

More photos.,, I tied a gold ribbed hare's ear with a partridge feather. The partridge barbule movement is slight but better than any hen feather I have tested. I use the clear plastic GoPro case for my mini-aquarium. I am using the Olympus TG-6 in macro for the photos.
hares-ear-and-partridge.jpg
hares-ear-and-partridge.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 383 times
on the surface...

ph-on-surface1.jpg
ph-on-surface1.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 383 times
ph-on-surface2.jpg
ph-on-surface2.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 383 times
in the film...

ph-in-the-film1.jpg
ph-in-the-film1.jpg (23.33 KiB) Viewed 383 times
ph-in-the-film2.jpg
ph-in-the-film2.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 383 times
under the water...

ph-underwater.jpg
ph-underwater.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 383 times
ph-underwater1.jpg
ph-underwater1.jpg (42.23 KiB) Viewed 383 times
ph-underwater2.jpg
ph-underwater2.jpg (43.15 KiB) Viewed 383 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am

Outstanding!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:31 pm

letumgo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am
Outstanding!
Agreed! I like the gravel-bed scenery. An idea for photo shoot #3: Place a young-of-the-year trout in the aquarium. Glamor shots for glamorous flies.
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Phil,

When shooting the flies while in our lake I lost two flies to small bluegills. So no fishies in the mini-bathtub. :)

Reading chapter 4 again in The Flyfisher & the Trout's Point of View is what fired me up early this morning. So it is your fault Phil.

Over my short lunch break I whipped up a soft hackle fly using the softest hen hackle I feel I own. This is a rare hen cape from across the pond. I used purple YLI thread, heavily waxed (no bobbin) with a peacock herl thorax. I find in my past experiments the hen hackle barbs near the base of the feather have better movement than near the tip of the hen feather.

I did three hackle wraps on the pattern.

hen-hackle.jpg
hen-hackle.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 356 times
hen-hackle1.jpg
hen-hackle1.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 356 times
hen-hackle2.jpg
hen-hackle2.jpg (36.74 KiB) Viewed 356 times

Personally, I would only use this fly pattern in the film or partially submerged.
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:23 pm

Okay, last one. PhilA in an email suggested the hen saddles feathers were probably softer. So i tied a soft hackle using a Collin hen saddle feather on a size #16 hook. I tied the feather in at the base and even left a few barbs of fluff. When I wiggled in the water it Phil was correct. The hen saddle feather creates a lot more movement than the hen cape feather.

soft-hackle-hen-saddle.jpg
soft-hackle-hen-saddle.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 344 times
soft-hackle-hen-saddle1.jpg
soft-hackle-hen-saddle1.jpg (34.37 KiB) Viewed 344 times
soft-hackle-hen-saddle2.jpg
soft-hackle-hen-saddle2.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 344 times
soft-hackle-hen-saddle3.jpg
soft-hackle-hen-saddle3.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 344 times
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:32 pm

John,
We've got to stop meeting this way!

The very long length of feather barbs on hen saddle feathers is an unsolvable problem. Such feathers work great on large flies, but not well on small ones. That's why I don't use hen saddles for small soft-hackled flies. I instead use feathers of game birds such as English woodcock, golden plover, snipe, starling, and various partridge, quail, and grouse species. You know my weaknesses! That's what I mean above by "covet and hoard". The marginal wing coverts of those birds are especially good for small soft hackles, and the body feathers are great for larger flies. I actually don't use much partridge because I prefer some of the others.

What's this "Okay, last one" statement? You think Ansel Adams got it right the first time?

Phil
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:02 pm

PhilA wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:32 pm
John,
We've got to stop meeting this way!

The very long length of feather barbs on hen saddle feathers is an unsolvable problem. Such feathers work great on large flies, but not well on small ones. That's why I don't use hen saddles for small soft-hackled flies. I instead use feathers of game birds such as English woodcock, golden plover, snipe, starling, and various partridge, quail, and grouse species. You know my weaknesses! That's what I mean above by "covet and hoard". The marginal wing coverts of those birds are especially good for small soft hackles, and the body feathers are great for larger flies. I actually don't use much partridge because I prefer some of the others.

What's this "Okay, last one" statement? You think Ansel Adams got it right the first time?

Phil
Phil,

I meant last one for today. :lol: I had to finish some work, mow the lawn, cook steaks, etc. Now my night time reading and sipping wine.

The game birds you mentioned are on my to do list to test. Plus, some various other tying materials.
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:33 am

Now trying a starling feather. Starling barbs produce the best movement so far. The barbs move with the slightest pull on the tippet. In slow water or lakes starling soft hackles would be a good choice if you are looking for barbs that move with the slightest twitch.

starling1.jpg
starling1.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 299 times

I like the trailing shuck effect in the photo. I used BRF's micro zelon in midge gray color for the shuck with three woodduck barbs for the tail.

starling2.jpg
starling2.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 299 times
starling3.jpg
starling3.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 299 times