Experiments in Dying Muskrat (playtime)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Experiments in Dying Muskrat (playtime)

Post by DUBBN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Thanks for the samples Ray. So far I have worked on only one pattern using your Muskrat.

This is my 4th attempt and by far the best looking fly.

From now until freeze, caddis will be important. For me that means Soft Hackles and emergers. This pattern is a combination of the Graphic Caddis and my Emerger patterns.

I already know when folks see this they will think October Caddis. That is fine but, this emerger will work fine imitating any dark Brown Caddis that happens to be emerging.

I am planning on fishing the Wind River Canyon in Wyoming this coming weekend. I plan on having a hand full of these for the trip. Even if they are not used there, they will kick butt on the Freestones here in Colorado when I get back.

Hook, size 14 Caddis emerger. (Size 16's will be tied too)
Thread,,,, Veevus A17 (Wood Duck) 16/0
Tag,,,, Medium Copper Holo tinsel
Body, thread....tag and body covered in UV resin.
Under Wing,,, Muskrat guard hair in a split thread. Tied in as a hackle
Over Wing,,, Partridge flank feathers dyed light Orange
Head,,, Dark Orange dyed Muskrat under fur

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm

WOW! THAT IS OUTSTANDING! I knew you would make great use of the dyed muskrat. So cool. ;) :D

Are you going to be drifting the Wind River? How long a stretch do you end up covering? I just looked up pictures of the Wind River. Rugged country, but really beautiful. Have fun!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:24 pm

Ray,
Forgive me for not responding sooner! It shouldn't take months to do so!
This thread is fantastic! I love what you have done with the muskrat pieces that I sent you! You have died them beautifully! And, I see that you have given other folks samples and such! This is wonderful! I am so pleased! It seems that muskrat fur accepts dyes rather well! We are so richly blessed as tiers and fishers that there are so many "fur bearers" out there to choose from! It's great too that we can swap and trade freely with stuff like this!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.