Using Ski Wax (dubbing wax)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Theroe

Re: Using Ski Wax (dubbing wax)

Post by Theroe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:36 pm

Sometime in 1979 or early 1980, I met a couple of guys fly fishing in Denmark. One of them turned me onto SWIX purple skI WAX...... He gave me a tube which I still use to this very day, it is absolutely fantastic for waxing thread and dubbing bodies.

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
flyfud1

Post by flyfud1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:37 am

Dubbing wax in the little blue tubes with the yellow top made and sold by John Betts were SWIX cross-country ski wax. I know because I helped him fill a couple hundred of the tubes one day.

Charlie
Variant

Post by Variant » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:11 pm

I have a white round container labeled MIDGE WAX from Fishing Services that I purchased many years ago.The wax is a light pink color. I use it for dubbing small patterns. Would this product also be ski wax?

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:26 am

Howdy All;

When I first joined up here and was just beginning to learn to tye I had some old
Bow String wax that I used. Worked really well. Don't remember the name of it and
it is rubbed completely off the container. Still have some, chuckle. Tacky as all get out.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin