Dick's Killer Bucktail

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

Dick's Killer Bucktail

Post by UC Steve » Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 am

An old yankee bucktail developed on the upper Connecticut River, on the Vermont / New Hampshire border. Rumored to be the forerunner of the Edson Tiger. Evidently travels well because it proved a fair producer swung over pre-spawn rainbows on the upper Columbia this Spring.
dick's killer bucktail II 005 (1280x925).jpg
dick's killer bucktail II 005 (1280x925).jpg (294.37 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Dick's Killer Bucktail

Post by letumgo » Fri May 20, 2022 4:28 am

What a strikingly beautiful bucktail. Extra style points are JC and red biots. Lovely.

What hackle did you use up front? I’m guessing teal or possibly mallard.

Welcome back Steve. Nice to see you posting.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Fri May 20, 2022 3:37 pm

Ray, thanks for the kind words. Crazy-busy with guiding, building, preparing for the release of 'Trout Spey & The Art Of The Swing, any day now, & a new project, bringing Soft~Hackle Journal to a print quarterly (I'm perceiving a trend away from online reading, not overriding, but a trend nonetheless). More on that later.

No hackle on this one, but if you mean the topping, that is a clump of gadwall, though any waterfowl flank would do, I'm sure.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri May 20, 2022 4:00 pm

“topping”…Yes. That is what I was asking about. Gadwall… Nice!!!

I can’t wait to see your new book. I ordered it as soon as I heard it was going to print. Congratulations!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat May 21, 2022 8:19 am

Beautifully dressed fly, Steve. I can definitely see this as a forerunner of the Edson Light Tiger. I might try a variant on local waters, using the brass Edson "cheeks" instead of the JC.

PS. According to the American Museum of Fly Fishing website, Bill Edson and Dick fished together. During the outing Dick gave Bill a couple of these flies. Bill made some changes and introduced the Light Tiger the following year.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Sun May 22, 2022 4:27 pm

That’s a lovely fly. Does the peacock body have a wire ribbing ? I think I see it and then I don’t. Lol
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 am

Beautiful pattern Steve and as Ray said, It's good to see you posting again! It sounds like you need a hobby to occupy your time! Might we suggest fly fishing and tying?
You are indeed a busy man! Gotta admire you for that!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Tue May 24, 2022 9:38 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:19 am Beautifully dressed fly, Steve. I can definitely see this as a forerunner of the Edson Light Tiger. I might try a variant on local waters, using the brass Edson "cheeks" instead of the JC.

PS. According to the American Museum of Fly Fishing website, Bill Edson and Dick fished together. During the outing Dick gave Bill a couple of these flies. Bill made some changes and introduced the Light Tiger the following year.
Thanks Ron! I didn't know that part of the story! Then rumors are probably correct. You carry the water, friend.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Tue May 24, 2022 9:41 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 am Beautiful pattern Steve and as Ray said, It's good to see you posting again! It sounds like you need a hobby to occupy your time! Might we suggest fly fishing and tying?
Dougsden
You may suggest. A fine idea that!
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Tue May 24, 2022 9:45 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 am Beautiful pattern Steve and as Ray said, It's good to see you posting again! It sounds like you need a hobby to occupy your time! Might we suggest fly fishing and tying?
Dougsden
I couldn't determine if the original had wire, however I did wind fine silver wire over the body to make it more durable.