Fishnkilts

Does this fly have a name?

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:13 pm

If it doesn't, it does now.

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Does this fly have a name?

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:48 am

Looks to be a descendent of the Royal Coachman family. A Royal Coachman Winged Wet, perhaps.

I especially love the crossed tinsel flourish in the body. Great style and beautiful work.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:21 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:48 am Looks to be a descendent of the Royal Coachman family. A Royal Coachman Winged Wet, perhaps.

I especially love the crossed tinsel flourish in the body. Great style and beautiful work.
A descendant is good enough for me. I thought about a pattern like this all day at work Friday and tied it up last night. It went through some changes, gone through many attempts with the wings because for some reason they kept coming out crooked to one side instead of laying along the shank.
So last night was was R&D work with it and today I will try to perfect it.

I will call it, Queen's Guard. 💂

Stay tuned.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:21 pm

Dear Fishnkilts,
I agree with Ray on all points! Your time and effort has paid off handsomely! This pattern is gorgeous! This is a sign of a creative mind! Please keep creating!
Anxious to see what the future holds,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:05 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:21 pm Dear Fishnkilts,
I agree with Ray on all points! Your time and effort has paid off handsomely! This pattern is gorgeous! This is a sign of a creative mind! Please keep creating!
Anxious to see what the future holds,
Doug
Thank you Doug, I appreciate the kind words and encouragement I get from all the members here. I still struggle with the wings, but today I found a video from Jim Misiura that seems to help. I'm two for two on getting the wings tied in correctly. Plus I think using a hook with a sproat bend seems to help in being more consistent than a wide gapped hook. Baby steps, though the hook in the photo is a Firehole hook and it has a wide gap. It took me two sets of wings to get what you see in the photo. But it's coming along now and I will continue to master these wings so I can present these type of flies at the tying expo in Feb. because I would like to see more people come back to these traditionally tied flies and flymphs. I hear wet flies are ever so slowly making a come back and I want to do what I can to help advertise them. It may even bring in more members to the forum.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:52 pm

Bringing in more members? Now, that would be down right wonderful! Please be our newest ambassador! Show them your winging technique!
I trashed about a dozen flies (and wing pairs) before I got the "feel" for what was going on under my thumb and index finger! A pinch wrap helps too! Also, make sure the wing slips are equal in size (same amount of fibers on each slip) and that they are cut from exactly the same spot on each wing left and right!
I know there are more experienced hands listening in that could offer you a lot more advice! Gentlemen, have at it!
I'm always leaning on the learning curve,
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:58 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:52 pm Bringing in more members? Now, that would be down right wonderful! Please be our newest ambassador! Show them your winging technique!
I trashed about a dozen flies (and wing pairs) before I got the "feel" for what was going on under my thumb and index finger! A pinch wrap helps too! Also, make sure the wing slips are equal in size (same amount of fibers on each slip) and that they are cut from exactly the same spot on each wing left and right!
I know there are more experienced hands listening in that could offer you a lot more advice! Gentlemen, have at it!
I'm always leaning on the learning curve,
Doug in the Den

One thing I am learning is not everyone can do the same thing as everyone else when tying, but we still get the same results at the end. It's just like welding, no one on the crew welds exactly the same, but we can all pass X-RAY tests.
Flyfud1 has helped me very much and what he sent me was a great foundation that I was able to build upon and kind of find my own technique. It's coming along, I know it is. And I will do my very best at the tying expo and do you all proud.
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:14 pm

Those wings drive me batty, too... Davey McPhail's winged fly videos are pretty good at explaining how to manage those dudes.
Yours look pretty darn good to me.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:44 pm

I have to agree with Ron on this one! Your wings on this pattern look good indeed! One of the true tests of good winging technique is.... do the wings look like they are growing out of the shoulder of the fly? Yours do and it looks like the fly could take wing and fly away at any second! Don't let it get away!
Dougsden
Brooktrout52

Post by Brooktrout52 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:02 pm

Beautiful fly. I have been trying to learn how to tie wings like this. In regard to Dougsden's comment concerning make sure to take the slips from the exact spot on the feathers. This has been an issue because even though I have purchased feathers that are "matched pairs" it doesn't appear that both feathers come from the same bird. Example, the feathers are not the same length or shape and I cannot get good matches. Does anyone else have this issue or did I just get bad feathers in my limited sample?