Beads - Transparent green glass beads
Body - Flat silver tinsel
Throat - White bucktail
Wing - Black over green bucktail
Cheeks (Optional) - Jungle Cock*
Eyes - Painted black over white

*Some online photos jungle cock others dont

Omit the painted eyes if using jungle cock cheeks

Rear hook may be pointed up or down (as shown). Tyers preference.

The Nine-Three was born in May 1949, in the Belgrade Lakes region. “My brother Emile and Dr. Herbert Sanborn stayed up half the night designing the fly,” the late Maine outdoors writer (and longtime Down East columnist) Gene Letourneau reported in 1989. “The following day, Dr. Sanborn immediately hooked a hen 9-pound, 3-ounce landlocked salmon on Messalonskee Lake.” The original was made of long, white bucktail hairs, chicken feathers dyed lime green, and topped with black-dyed feathers. Trolled behind an outboard motor, the fly mimics a darting minnow.
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
Mike62

Re: Nine Three Tandem Hairwing Streamer

Post by Mike62 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:48 am

One of my grandfathers 'go-to' patterns when I was a kid. So many salmon fell to this pattern. Beautiful, Norm; gorgeous. Thanks for posting this one.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:19 am

I just saw this pattern on Facebook, with the trailing hook pointed up. Your example is so nicely dressed.

Did you run the wire through the eye of the trailing hook and back to the front hook, as in an Intruder, or did you snell the wire to the trailing hook?
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:21 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:19 am I just saw this pattern on Facebook, with the trailing hook pointed up. Your example is so nicely dressed.

Did you run the wire through the eye of the trailing hook and back to the front hook, as in an Intruder, or did you snell the wire to the trailing hook?
ron

i run the wire through the eye and under the hook shank. a little crazy glue and tying thread to secure

as i mentioned in my original post the rear hook can be pointed up or down
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Thanks, Norm. Appreciate the info. Since Mike said they are a good Land Lock fly I have to add a couple to the boat box.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"