Thread - Black
Tag - Oval gold tinsel
Tail - Red hackle fibers
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Green wool yarn
Wing - Gray squirrel Tain
Collar - Grizzly hackle

The Complete Illustrated Dictionary of Salmon Flies - Chris Mann
Last edited by nfrechet on Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Grizzly King

Post by letumgo » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:30 pm

What make/model hook is this tyed on? Is it an Alec Jackson? Beautiful rendition of an old favorite.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 pm

I love this fly, especially this rendition of it. The first fly I tied for a swap, back in the old FAOL days, was a Grizzly King on a double salmon hook.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:07 am

Gamakatsu T10-6H
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:01 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 pm I love this fly, especially this rendition of it. The first fly I tied for a swap, back in the old FAOL days, was a Grizzly King on a double salmon hook.
Got any pictures of it? I'd like to see your version, just because of your hook choice. That being said, and I'm sure we can chock this up to one of my character deficiencies, but I've never been able to find the love for this pattern. And like the Sparkle Pupa, I can certainly recognize and appreciate a well tied Grizzly King, ...I just can't bring myself to use one.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:46 pm

Mike62 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:01 pm
Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 pm I love this fly, especially this rendition of it. The first fly I tied for a swap, back in the old FAOL days, was a Grizzly King on a double salmon hook.
Got any pictures of it? I'd like to see your version, just because of your hook choice. That being said, and I'm sure we can chock this up to one of my character deficiencies, but I've never been able to find the love for this pattern. And like the Sparkle Pupa, I can certainly recognize and appreciate a well tied Grizzly King, ...I just can't bring myself to use one.
I don't have any pictures, Mike. That was probably 25 years ago or so. I often wished I'd kept at least one of those flies because they were just pretty. The hook choice was simple, I grabbed the wrong hooks at the shop for tying some steelhead flies, so used them for a swap. I have caught Coho and King Salmon on a Grizzly King, just not on the doubles.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:58 pm

Wow Norm,
Here's a walk down memory lane! This is one of the first wet patterns that I attempted a few decades ago! I was really proud of myself for bringing the materials together and getting the proportions right! This pattern turned the corner for me and spurred me on to try other patterns. Otherwise, I think I would have let my tying fade into obscurity! Thank you for sharing your beautiful rendition and sparking (in me at least) some fond memories!
All the best to you friend,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:01 pm

Very nice! The Grizzly King is one beautiful looking fly and your version is no exception. I like the gray squirrel for the wing, it really stands out and gives the fly great character.

And the hook makes it look classic too.