Discouraged

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Discouraged

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:17 pm

Hey friends, I have been wanting to tie the wet fly version of the Rio Grande King for about a month now and I finally got my materials.

I have never tied wings like this before and I have watched many videos tying flies with this style of wing and it looks simple to me, but I am struggling really bad. I have seen videos where they take matching sets of wings and place them together and I have seen videos, Davie McPhail does this a lot, where the fibers are just folded in half and tied in.

I have tried both ways and my wings keep wanting to lay flat no matter how much I lay them in the opposite direction so the thread will stand them up.

This is what they are looking like. I need some help, please.

FlyFisherMann1955

Re: Discouraged

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:29 am

Tom (Updtate) and Norm (nfrechet) are masters of the quill wing. Hopefully, they will provide some advice.

Tight Lines- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:22 am

Personally, I like calf tail for the wing on the Rio Grand King
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 am

DUBBN wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:22 am Personally, I like calf tail for the wing on the Rio Grand King
I will probably use calf tail for the RGK Trude. But for this version I want to stay as original as I can.
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am

i get discouraged as well and at times ill go through 3-4 sets of wings until i get it right. sometimes i just get lucky on the first try

it takes practice, practice, practice

you really have to pinch the wing to the hook shank

here is a good tutorial

http://traditionalflies.com/index.php?wingingwetflies

http://fishing.raifkillips.com/tying/feather-slip-wing/

i have watched davie mcphail tie on wings and i just cant do it the same way

i will say this: i would use small/fine chenille for the body. medium chenille will create a dam and cause the wing to elevate instead of laying flatter over the body

pair up your wing slips from a right and left pair of duck or goose wings

width of the wing slips are approximately 2/3 the gape of the hook (I learned this in a don bastian tying class)

watch barry ord clarke tie wings

davie mcphail. notice the width of the wings after he ties them in

Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:20 pm

The secret is the pinch where the quills are in between your thumb and forefinger on top of the hook. The thread goes around and down slightly in the pinch, then under the hook. When it’s all set, pull firmly up. That “should” get a nice wing with the quills flattened on top of each other creating the wing you want. It’s kinda hard to explain. Lots of UTube type vids out there on it. I’m sure someone here can recommend a good one..

Big or small flies, the principal is the same…
45A24B41-2F08-4C86-A119-0C82026C586B.jpeg
45A24B41-2F08-4C86-A119-0C82026C586B.jpeg (58.44 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:48 pm

Thanks guys. The photos you shared showing the wings all look fantastic. I will practice, practice and practice some more by just tying wings onto a hook so I don't waste material that already works for me.

I must admit that I have been putting learning this technique off for about two years because for some reason I was intimidated by it, and now I see why. My friend in Ireland said it was easy. Ha, a lot he knows. :lol:

Thanks again and as soon as I conquer this new level of tying, I will share my accomplishment with all of you.

If anyone can think of something someone may have missed, I would be very grateful.

Norm, good tip on the chenille, thank you.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Thanks for being brave enough to pose the question, T. I can't tie quill wings worth a damn, either. I'll use all this info to improve. These responses are fantastic, so much good information.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:52 pm

Mike62 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm Thanks for being brave enough to pose the question, T. I can't tie quill wings worth a damn, either. I'll use all this info to improve. These responses are fantastic, so much good information.
How is one to learn if they don't ask for help? I'm just thankful that I received that help from this forum.

So I practiced and I am now able to get the wings to somewhat look the way they are to look. I do have one problem left.

After I clip of the material for the wings I have a problem picking them up and lining them up without jacking them up. It's like my sausage fingers destroy them before I can get the tips lined up.

This is going to take more practice and a lot more duck feathers. And speaking of feathers, I ordered some and when they arrived I noticed that some of the tips were a bit damaged. Is this normal? I also saw that the shoulder is a good section to order.
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:40 am

Fishnkilts wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:52 pm After I clip of the material for the wings I have a problem picking them up and lining them up without jacking them up. It's like my sausage fingers destroy them before I can get the tips lined up.
There are several possible solutions to this:

1) Don't put them down in the first place. When you cut off the first slip, keep hold of it and use it to measure the second slip, lining the tips up before cutting the second slip.

2) Use your dubbing needle to pick the slips up. Obviously, you'll want to pierce the slip in the part you're going to cut off.

3) Look at the third picture Norm posted, with the actual quill cut instead of cutting slips from them. Those quills make very convenient handles, and you can tie the slips on with them in place. This won't work if you want to tie married wings, though.

I'd also suggest getting a pair of natural mallard wings to practice with. They're cheap, and you can practice on flies like a Leadwing Coachman, which is good to learn on, it's also a very effective fly. To remove the quills, soak the wings in hot, soapy water for 15 minutes or so, and remove the quills with needle nosed pliers. I like to match them up and tape them together as soon as I remove them, rather than waiting to try to match them before they're dry. Be sure to thoroughly dry to remaining wings; the coverts make great soft hackles.
Bob