Doing better

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Doing better

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:37 pm

Last year, around November I believe, I started trying out tying winged flies. I have to say that it hasn't been easy learning this style, but after reading what you all had to say, along with reading articles in Fly Tyer Magazine and watching videos, I think I'm getting better at this.

I do have to admit that I had to take time off from tying for a few months, but I'm trying to tie as much as I can now and it's all coming back to me. One of the flies I have been wanting to tie is the Rio Grande King and I actually fished it yesterday and did quite well with this fly on the South Saint Vrain in an area that John Gierach calls, The Stairs. I never fished this spot on the creek before and I can see why he calls it The Stairs. It's not a difficult area to get to because it's right off the highway with a nice little pull off right there. I actually found it by accident.

But anyway, I'm doing better at these wings, though I'm still not consistent with them. What I found that works for me is, 1, Do not let go of the wings.
2, Pinch tight.
3, When wrapping the thread, slide the forefinger down behind the eye to help prevent the wings turning.
4, Wrap three times to cinch the wings down before letting go.

These four steps have helped tremendously.

My last tie a few minutes ago.

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Doing better

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:44 pm

Lovely winged wet fly. Nice to see you keeping after it, and getting everything dialed in. Kudos. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:12 pm

Fishnkilts,
I agree with Ray! Your pattern is awesome and you already proved that your flies catch fish! They are the best and ultimate judge of your work! I want to encourage you to keep up the good work that you are doing at the vice and out on the waters!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:44 am

Fishnkilts, Howdy;

Good to see the results of your efforts. Better to hear that the fish like them
as well. That's the most important part, that the fish like what you've created.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DarrellP

Post by DarrellP » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:27 am

Beauty
JohnMD1022

Post by JohnMD1022 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:10 pm

I think that is a beautiful one.

And you pin down an important point,that, in part, any pattern can be stated mathematically, and this leads to consistently good ties. (Number of turns to tie the wings, and how to apply them.)

And, I’d bet that most have come to tie in this manner without conscious thought.
"One of those harmless misfits you see in fishing who do no appreciable damage to the world at large and in the end have only cost themselves the normal life that they never wanted anyway."
No Shortage of Good Days by John Gierach
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:31 pm

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It helps me more than you know. I'm always welcoming any advice you all can give.