Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Cymru Kebari

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:02 pm

Cymru Kebari
Hook - Daiichi Model 1650 / Size 12
Thread - Pearsall's Naples Silk Thread (Brown) / Heavily Waxed
Herl Head (in front of hackle) - Single Strand of Ostrich Herl (Natural Dun)
Hackle - Starling Body Hackle (Bleached/Tan)
Abdomen - - Pearsall's Naples Silk Thread (Brown) / Heavily Waxed
Whip finished at the back, next to the bend of the hook

This is a kind of East-meets-West fusion. I mashed together a Glanrhos type fly from Wales (Cymru) with the Japanese Tenkara style hackle. I like it. Just strikes me as a fishy combination.

The Naples silk is a somewhat thicker than the Pearsall's Gossamer thread. I had a spool of brown Naples left over from a rod building project, and figured I'd put it to use as a tying thread. It works nicely on the Tenkara flies, where the bodies are often thicker than western style flies. I like the tapered body.

If you look closely at the bottom of the body (next to the bend), you can see a smear of wax on the hook shank. This is from heavily waxing the silk. Drew the whip finish snug, at the back of the fly, the wax was squeezed out as the wraps tightened into place. I think this will be a durable fly, even though I did not use head cement. We'll see, after I get a chance to fish this fly...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Re: Cymru Kebari

Post by Old Hat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:26 pm

I like it!

You're doing good with all the ostrich lately.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Ray, Howdy;

great looking fly! Be careful or you'll run thru all that nice
Ostrich and bleached Starling and you'll have to order more ... ;) , :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Ray,
After viewing this Tenkara beauty and from what little I know (and that really is a little) about the Tenkara way of things, I think I could slip easily into this beautifully simplistic style both in the fishing and of the tying.
Absolutely beautiful pattern and a great explaination to go along with it! Wonderful Ray, just wonderful!!
Doug in the den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:53 am

I can only imagine the havoc Misako would wreak if she were to use this in competition. Masterful, Ray!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:21 pm

letumgo wrote: This is a kind of East-meets-West fusion. I mashed together a Glanrhos type fly from Wales (Cymru) with the Japanese Tenkara style hackle. I like it. Just strikes me as a fishy combination.
How great is this? It's a beautiful fly with an exceptional taper for the body and lots of movement. I love it. That waxed silk looks like copper.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:25 pm

If we are to discuss a Kebari fly, certainly it was fine in the fly dressings section, as indicated in the remarks in the thread, but if we are to have any posts designated as Winged Wets, this is a good example of how this genre might fit on the forum. Unnecessary, but not detrimental. Thanks for posting some cross-over posts to set a precedent that clearly defines the parameter of this sub-forum.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com