Henwing Pupa

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Henwing Pupa

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Ron - Agreed. The henwings style is very similar to the Glanrhos style. I think of the henwings style as a low profile wing, formed from the tip of the feather. The wing is tyed in flat across the back of the fly, and it is tied in a bit differently.

I first learned about the henwings style several years ago.

EDIT THIS INFO LATER:

Try a quick Google search on "George Schlotter henwing fly" to try to find his article. If you scroll down in the article, you can see a pattern called a "Henwing Emerger" (also known as March Brown Henwing Emerger/Pages 85 & 234/Hatch Guide for New England Streams by Thomas Ames Jr.).

If you read the article, there is a very interesting comment about how Mr. Ames fishes the henwing style fly.

In the article he writes:

"When the late afternoon hatch begins, I tie on one of George Schlotter's Henwing Emergers. By smearing floatant on the wing only, I can hang it in the surface film just like the clumsy natural, laboring to shed its shuck. Bigger fish often ignore the more exposed, high floating duns in favor of slightly submerged emergers."

I need to remember this when I get to fish these flies. I like the idea of fishing the fly as an emerger.

After much searching thru my old fly tying magazines, I found the article that described tying and fishing the hen-wing emerger. For anyone is interested, the article is in:

Flyfishing & Tying Journal (Spring 2006 Edition/Pages 62 thru 64)
the article was called "Curious George", written by Thomas Ames Jr.

A really wonderful article, which has stuck in my head even after all these years...

INTERESTING LINKS:
http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page140.html
http://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewtop ... =10&t=1421
http://www.classicflytying.com/index.ph ... opic=36988
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 pm

It's very appealing, and, again, something that I imagine could be "misused" to catch non-coldwater species.
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Holy ....cow! That's beautiful.
First I noticed the color and character of the body. Then I saw the horns. Then the "wing-like appendage". Then it all just...melded together. All of the parts are fantastic. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
With black horns, this could present well as a red wasp. Odd as it may sound, I've seen bream and small bass take wasps off of the surface, where they land to get water to help make their nests. It should also work well subsurface as a drowned wasp.

Kirk
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:35 am

My goodness Ray,
This is one of the "buggiest" looking pupa patterns I have ever seen! Great job on a really boss looking pattern! The colors are fantastic!
Swellcat, you bet your bippy (remember the comedy show Laugh in?) this would be effective on our non-cold water species like my little speckled darlings in the pond! By the way, I did ask one of them just the other day and they said it's quite cold right now under the skim of ice that formed last week! I would have to agree! It's cold on the top side as well!
Unbelievable creativity in this pattern Ray, very special indeed!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Again, this is a nice cross-over. The Glanrhos style flies were fine as they were when they came up in the dressing section. No one ever took issue and everyone enjoyed seeing them discussed. This fits here just fine, a good example of how this sub-forum might be of use. Thanks again.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com