Thread: brown UNI 8/0
Abdomen: light olive Pearsall's, unwaxed
Thorax: dubbed squirrel
Wing: single brown CDC tied flatwing style
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Diving Sedge

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Nice simple design. It has the look of a guide pattern. Easy to tye, but effective.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:45 pm

Glad you like this one, Ray. You have a keen eye for baits. This one's a reliable getter here in Caddisland, late summer when the only game is the nightly flights of dying spotted sedge spinners, mostly males, accumulated around the river. The light olive Pearsall's serves very well to simulate the shrunken abdomen of the spinners.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Nice heavy hook to get down!
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:15 am

Road, the hook is a necessity of my homewater. One that functions for the conditions & fish here. It's not unusual to hook real big UC trout on wee flies, so a wide-gaped hook that won't bend is required. The Daiichi 1150 works good, & I tie these on Mustad 3366 as well. But if I was fishing slacker water with smaller fish, I might consider something finer, as I usually fish this just under the surface, where the fresh ones are found. A dryfly hook might be best in some situations. :geek:
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:22 pm

I like both versions of of your versions of this fly, Steve. The silk-bodied fly you post here is quit elegant, and I will have to tie some for my foray into RMNP this week. Your fly(s) lack the small amount of sparkle yarn (antron) for under-wing that Gary LaFontaine includes in his pattern. Just saying.
Cheers
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:46 pm

Well, now I have to get rid of one of the caddis patterns in my box to make room for this. This looks deadly, Steve.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:06 pm

Redsedge, yes, no Antron. In my own experience it bulks the pattern too much & tends to pin the pulsing action of the wing. There aint much to these (the naturals), & they aren't as sparkly as the newly emerged. The spinner is wan & faded, so I figure the color/light of the silk body is enough. Just my take. I believe LaFontaine was meaning to simulate an egg-layer, which he believed a 'diver', & yeah, the heavier dressed pattern might be a good match for the young, plump & colored up female, but I'm always fishing wingless emergers concurrent with egg-laying season & haven't had much use for the winged 'diver'. I mean this one to simulate a late season spinner, which, after falling into the water, swims around just beneath the surface hoping to return home.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:52 pm

tie2fish wrote:Well, now I have to get rid of one of the caddis patterns in my box to make room for this. This looks deadly, Steve.
Bill, I'm sloppy. I think you could bring out the elegance of this pattern. Love to see it. In my last couple posts at Soft~Hackle Journal, I feature a couple spider versions of this stage that I like as well, & I switch around as the whims of trout seem to go, though this one is reliable with fair consistancy.

http://soft-hacklejournal.blogspot.com
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:17 am

UC Steve wrote:Redsedge, yes, no Antron. In my own experience it bulks the pattern too much & tends to pin the pulsing action of the wing. There aint much to these (the naturals), & they aren't as sparkly as the newly emerged. The spinner is wan & faded, so I figure the color/light of the silk body is enough. Just my take. I believe LaFontaine was meaning to simulate an egg-layer, which he believed a 'diver', & yeah, the heavier dressed pattern might be a good match for the young, plump & colored up female, but I'm always fishing wingless emergers concurrent with egg-laying season & haven't had much use for the winged 'diver'. I mean this one to simulate a late season spinner, which, after falling into the water, swims around just beneath the surface hoping to return home.
Elucidating response, sir. Thank you.